Chapter 50: A Kind of Mint

[A/N] Someway through the story my version of the characters changed. I didn't realise it until a few days ago when I was trying to find descriptions of my characters. Let's set it in stone now, and you can suggest your own preferences, if I want to I'll edit them in.

Atlas has dark sandy coloured hair, slightly curly and brown eyes. Jacob has short cropped blond hair and blue eyes.

Alright moving on.

Jacob was staring at me a lot today. As I sat there doodling a cartoon guy with big teeth that was supposed to be our History teacher but was progressing swiftly to look more and more like a racist caricature. Accidentally turning the yamuka into one of those Chinese straw hats didn't help.

Instead of focussing on the white board on which the teacher was playing a power point presentation, he was looking at me, and not at the doodle but at my face.

I occasionally looked to the side to see if I was just going mad, assuming he was looking at me out of the corner of my eye, but no. Every time I met his eyes and he looked away as if he hadn't glanced my way at all. It was driving me mad. The feeling of his eyes on me, it felt like they were burning holes into the side of my face each time.

One more look at Jacob and huffed slightly and turned back to his page, scribbling something down in his indiscriminate doctors handwriting onto the page. The bullet points resembled what was being shown on the slideshow but the words were beginning to genuinely look like gibberish.

When we were heading out there were three girls and a boy who I had gotten used to referring to as Jacob's fan club that caught him at the exit.

They were as anime fan club as you could get about the whole deal without paying for someone to take pictures of them while they weren't looking and cheering them on with banners at their basket ball games. Instead they followed him around with big beaming smiles and every time Jacob politely recognised the time they would ask him another time consuming question, usually something vague and annoying that Jacob apparently felt required to respond to.

He was so cold and authoritarian when it came to me sometimes that seeing this weirdly tolerant side of him enduring the cloying possessiveness of these annoying kids that clearly felt like the more time he spent around them that it automatically made them good buddies felt very off to me.

Sometimes, however, when I was watching him sit down and write out an explanation to a problem for them to see or take home with them I noticed a frostiness in his eyes, something almost attractively distant and unwelcoming. It came complete with a polite smile that they fell hook line and sinker for so it didn't matter, no one was looking at him, it felt like instead everyone was just looking at his poster.

It was on the way to the cafeteria that I noticed his poster for the first time behind one of the doors in school that was usually always held open.

He was wearing the school uniform in perfect condition, ironed, pressed, buttons all the way up. He was even wearing the retired school blazer that had something in the lining that caused a kid last year to have a massive allergic reaction while he was on antibiotics.

I should want to slap him. I wanted to smack every face I saw in these ugly posters with their dodgy quotes. Instead I couldn't help but admit to myself that he really looked good there. They hadn't done him justice, he still looked better in person.

Still, he looked scary attractive in person and I don't think any camera could capture that properly. Sometimes it was hard for me not to stare at him and find my mind wandering so that when he looked at me I felt like I had been caught.