Chapter 150: Meeting the In-Laws

"Akara?" Someone peeked inside the room a little later on. Lunch had passed and we were all settled in the same form room. Printouts of the class notes had been handed out by the relevant teachers, through the class prefect, for people to catch up on what they had missed.

The lights were a little dim, the blinds the teacher had closed for the move only opened part way but not fully lifted, striped shadows printed out across the room. Everyone sat spread out, a strangely relaxed quiet in the room with the more dedicated set one students dutifully taking the time to free study as intended by the teacher. 

I got up and left the table where I was sitting. Atlas had relocated with his friends, but Jacob still sat beside me, going through the questions of his higher calculus papers. He was preparing to go to a fancy university. I wouldn't be able to follow, not unless I got a scholarship, which I wouldn't.

I'd nearly fallen asleep watching him, spending a concerning amount of time trying to figure out if there was anything I could pinpoint on his face and form that wasn't perfect.

I'd come to the conclusion that there was not, but his preclusions to punishing his partners for doing bad things was probably a good reason for him not already having someone ridiculously attractive, rich and ready to make babies, hugging on his arm.

The slight insecurity I felt around both of them wasn't warranted, I decided, because if I really thought about it Atlas was the same.

Rough and mean when he wanted to be, he wasn't afraid of a fight, and he could be startlingly cold to people he wasn't interested in talking to.

I was just being superficial, they were both so painfully attractive and frustratingly tall that it made me feel like a fucking frog between them.

Some people like frogs, I thought to myself as I headed over to the door.

George was waiting outside, from set four, that is to say nearly set four for every subject like I was, and also from my old form.

"What?" I asked, stepping out of the room.

"Marsh was looking for you earlier. I meant to tell you but I didn't have time till now."

I looked left and right down the hall for Marsh and was semi-relieved he wasn't there. "Okay got it, thanks."

He nodded.

"Why do you have time though?"

"Kicked out." He shrugged, looking irritated. "He is an absolute wank-stain I tell you what."

"Who?"

"Mr Peters."

"Oh yeah..." I nodded heavily.

"You don't got him anymore right? Good with the set ones or is that prefect as annoying as he looks?"

I blinked through the startling rush of defensiveness I felt nearly prickling over the edge at that statement attacking Jacob. Give it two weeks earlier and I'd have slagged him off with George just the same, the whole idea of the student hierarchy, especially for those of us stuck in fours and threes, garnered some level of contempt.

"Uh, it's fine actually... it's pretty alright."

He made a face. "I can see you staying over time to sweep the floors give it a week. It's depressing that it actually worked."

"What?" I frowned at him. "Why would I do that, what worked?"

"You know, him babysitting you got you to rectify your ways." He laughed, mimicking Mr Peters condescending voice.