→ chapter thirty six

Start from the beginning

"chaerin, do you believe harry and dumbledore?" sora asked hesitantly, as she placed her knife and fork down.

the girl in question raised her eyebrows as she chewed her food, was sora seriously asking her this.

"sora.. of course i do, you don't think harry killed cedric do you?" chae retorted.

sora shook her head sadly.

"no of course i don't, i believe harry and dumbledore but my father doesn't. he thinks the two of them have strung together a lie to cause a moral panic" sora explained as she took a bite of her sandwich.

chae, dropped her fork, pushing her salad away. of course sora's father believed the daily prophet and the minister, he was a pure blood wizard who worked in the department of magical law enforcement. sora came from a high class family and was the only child.

"you know i love you and uncle, but fudge is quite clearly blinded by fear, he's taking he easy route of ignoring the signs instead of admitting that you-know-who is back" said chae.

"i know chae, i know, i tried to tell him that but it lead to an argument and he forbid me to speak on the matter again" sora sighed.

chae nodded her head nonchalantly and decided to drop the subject.

later that evening chae was stood next to the twins, looking down at a bunch of gryffindor first years. she held the products in her arms as fred and george both held clipboards.

the girl smiled kindly at the first years, her warm aura making them feel welcome and less intimidated of the taller boys that stood next to her.

"okay, before we give you these, are you sure you want to test these? we won't be held responsible if anything goes wrong" said chae.

the twins nodded their head, agreeing with the brunette.

"you are also forbidden to speak about this to any teacher" said fred.

"if you do, then you'll have lot more than a fainting fancy to worry about" george threatened, causing chae to widen her eyes at him.

the first years nodded timidly and chae handed them each a fainting fancy, watching cautiously as they plopped the sweet into their mouths. lee jordan joined his friends just as the children were chewing their sweets.

"i gathered more test subjects" he said brightly.

"lee! don't call them test subjects, they are human you know?" chae protested.

"brilliant. bring them over" said fred.

just as fred spoke, the innocent first years slumped in their seats, now unconscious. the twins began to observe the experiment closely, every now and again taking notes. chaerin moved the first years into more comfortable positions so they wouldn't be alarmed when they woke up, just as she was moving a brown haired girls arm, she looked up to see hermione walking over looking positively furious.

chae quickly stood up in alarm and tapped the twins, alerting them of the incoming storm that was most definitely heading their way.

"that's enough!" hermione said loudly, catching their attentions.

"yeah, i think you're right" george nodded "this dosage looks strong enough doesn't it?"

chae snickered under her breath.

"i told you this morning, you can't test your rubbish on students"

"hermione, that's not nice, they've worked hard to make these" chae said, however hermione ignored her.

"we're paying them!" said fred indignantly.

"i don't care, it could be dangerous! chaerin i thought you of all people would know better than this!" hermione said, jabbing a finger at chae.

chae gave the bushy haired girl a look of hurt, she understood the girl's concern but if she thought this was dangerous than she wouldn't have condoned fred and george's behaviour.

"that's rubbish, and don't bring chaerin into this!" said fred, his voice raising a few octaves.

"calm down, hermione, they're fine" lee said reassuringly as he walked from first year to first year, inserting the antidote into their mouths.

"yeah, look, they're coming around now" said george.

george was right, the children were beginning to stir and the ones that chae hadn't managed to move looked shock to see themselves on the floor.

"feel all right?" said george kindly to a small dark haired girl, lying at his feet.

"i-i think so" she said shakily.

chae handed the paper bag of fainting fancies to fred before bending down to help some of the first years stand up.

"excellent" said fred happily.

chae hooked her arm around a young boy, helping him to his feet but soon looked up in surprise when she saw hermione snatch fred's clipboard and the bag of fainting fancies. this angered chaerin more than it should have.

"hermione, give those back! the twins worked hard to make those!"

hermione ignored the girl once again, which caused chae to run a hand angrily through her hair as she watched the scene continue to unfold.

"it is NOT excellent!" hermione yelled.

"course it is, they're alive, aren't they?" said fred angrily.

chae knew that now wasn't the time but she couldn't help but notice that fred looked extremely hot when he was angry. george nudged the girl, laughing lightly.

"stop drooling over him" said george, causing chae to avert her eyes very quickly.

"you can't do this, what if you made one of them really ill?"

"we're not going to make them ill, we've already tested them all on ourselves and chae, this is just to see if everyone reacts the same--'

"if you don't stop doing it, i'm going to--'

"put us in detention?" said fred, in an i'd-like-to-see-you-try-it voice.

"make us write lines?" said george, smirking.

"tell mcgonagall?" said chae.

hermione drew herself up to her full height, and chae took this action to realise that hermione was in fact taller than her which she thought was ridiculous considering she was older than hermione.

"no" she said, her voice quivering with anger, 'but i will write to your mother"

chaerin's mouth dropped open in shock, hermione really went there...

"hermione, you can't do that, that's not fair" said chae.

"you wouldn't" said george, horrified, taking a step back from her.

"oh, yes, i would" said hermione grimly "i can't stop you or chae eating the stupid things yourselves, but you're not to give them to the first-years"

the twins stood in shock, and chae was shaking her head whilst hermione gave them one last threatening look, leaving the three of them stood there.