→ chapter nineteen

; ♡⋆

; ♡⋆.ೃ࿔*

"i told you both the arrangements already!" said chae as she shoved another piece of beef in her mouth, the twins opposite her smiling mischievously at her.

"yes but whose dorm are you staying in tonight?" fred asked, chae shook her head, it was evident the twins were trying to get on her nerves and in that moment they were doing a very good job at it.

"for merlin's sake! it's christmas eve so i'm staying in my own dorm tonight, tomorrow morning after i've opened presents with cho and luna, i will come to your dorm!" she snapped.

"okay okay, i think we've got it now" said george, a smirk on his face.

"idiots" chae muttered.

it was lunch time at hogwarts and the young girl just wanted to eat her food in peace, but she had figured out by now that being friends with the twins meant you'd never get any peace.

if chae was honest, she was missing her sister quite a bit. cho had been with her friends so much recently that she felt a bit pushed out, but she knew that cho had her own friends and didn't have to be by her side twenty four seven.

when chae had finished eating she went to the library, it was christmas eve but the girl couldn't seem to muster even a bit of happiness. she sat next to the window after retrieving a book, opening the book and beginning to read.

after a while, chae had found herself staring outside, watching as the ice cold snowflakes fell to the ground. she slammed the book shut causing some other students to stare at her, her legs ran down the halls of the castle, trying to take her outside as fast as she could.

when chae had finally stepped outside she felt as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, it was like the north pole outside but chae didn't bother going back inside to fetch a jacket, the only thing keeping her warm was the beige sweater she had on, the black jeans beginning to stick to her legs as the snow melted on them.

without having a clue where she was going, chae's legs walked as far as they could take her, down through the hogwarts grounds and up past hagrids hut on top of a little hill. she sat down, the snow colliding with her body heat causing it to turn to water the moment she sat down.

as she stared at the castle from a distance, she began to think. letting her thoughts cloud her head, she had really needed this time to herself. the cold air nipped at chaerin's skin as she hugged her knees to her chest, resting her head on top of them. the girl let out a sigh, her breath smoking in front of her lips.

she sat on the little hill, thinking about all the people she had come to love in her life; her mother, her father, cho, the weasley's, harry, her grandmother, even dumbledore!

the dark brunette smiled at the memories of when she'd visit her grandmother at hogwarts and dumbledore used to give her sherbet lemons, even now he'd sneak her a few if he ever saw her. chaerin thought he was brilliant.

the girl began to shiver but she didn't acknowledge it, at this point she was so cold that she felt as if she had become immune to it, she'd been out there for hours now. the sun began to fall in the sky, letting the moon rise to take its place.

chae heard the snow crunch behind her as the footsteps neared towards her, however she didn't bother to turn and look, afraid her ice cold skin would crack.

"chaerin! what on earth are you doing out here? it's freezing! look you're shivering!"

she smiled softly at the familiar voice, turning her head to see none other than fred weasley, with an extra jacket in his left hand. he gently wrapped the jacket around her shoulders, his warm hands brushing against her numb skin causing goosebumps to form on her arms.

he sat down beside her, taking her small hands in his and she leaned against his shoulder.

"what's up buttercup? i've been looking for you for hours" he fussed.

"i'm just thinking" she replied bluntly.

"about?" said fred.

"everything"

he laughed lightly and chae swore she could play his laugh on repeat, it was beautiful.

"chae that's not very helpful you know"

"next year.... it will be our last year here, i don't think i can bare it fred, leaving this place and becoming an adult"

"it's a year away love, we age but i don't think we every really grow up, other than severus snape, i don't think i've ever seen that man smile"

chae laughed at his reply, the boy had always known how to cheer her up.

"but all we ever do is get older, i don't like it"

"oh chae, you're overthinking again, i promise you, you'll never turn out to be an old git like filch"

the small girl smiled up at the boy as he wrapped an arm around her waist. a small silence making its way through the atmosphere as they stared at the rising crescent moon.

"fred?" said chae quietly.

"yes love?" said fred.

"you'll always be there though, right?"

"always, i promise"

the older boy held out his pinky and watched gently as chae locked her pinky with his, making a promise that fred swore he'd keep until the end of time. the duo looked into each other's eyes, not saying a thing as the two began to lean in, their foreheads resting against each other's.

"you're absolutely beautiful chaerin" whispered fred, chae was lucky that her cheeks had been red from the cold winter air otherwise she would have been blushing furiously.

the pair were so close that chae could feel fred's warm breath fanning her face, his familiar comforting scent of fireworks, toasted marshmallows and cinnamon soaking up her senses. her heart was beating so fast that she was afraid fred would be able to hear it.

she moved away quickly, coughing awkwardly as she her eyes suddenly found the ground interesting. the boy stood up and reached down for her hand, helping her up.

"come on chae, let's get you inside and hope that you haven't caught a cold"