→ chapter twenty six

; ♡⋆

; ♡⋆.ೃ࿔*

"do you think the merpeople liked me?" chaerin asked.

chae rested her head in fred's lap as they sat in the gryffindor common room by the fire, chae's body temperature had returned to normal but the girl still felt as if she was freezing. fred didn't want to leave the girl on her own so he forced her to stay with him for the night.

"dunno, why don't you ask them?" said fred as he stared down at the girl.

"because i can't speak mermish you moron" said chae.

"do you seriously not remember anything?" fred asked, chaerin shook her head as she sat up, turning to look at fred.

"i told you, i only remember my grandmother waving her wand, next thing i know i wake up in the black lake with ron"

fred laughed and chae smiled at him lovingly. it was the little moments like these that chae had missed so badly when they weren't talking, it was just the two of them.

she loved george very much but for some reason she found herself infatuated with fred. chae would take a bullet for both boys without questioning it.

"fred, during the easter break i have to go home" chae started, staring worriedly at the redhead "what if it's the last time i ever get to see my father?"

fred reached for chaerin's hand, taking it in his own, rubbing circles onto the back of it comfortingly.

"chaerin, if it's the last time, then make it the best time you've ever spent with him. do everything you can with him, he may not remember you after, but he'll always be in here" said fred, pointing to chae's chest where her heart rested.

"you're right freddie, thank you"

"anything for you love"

the easter break came around faster than chaerin wanted it to. when she stepped foot into the place she'd called home for sixteen years, it felt different. it felt cold and empty, even though the house was far from empty.

her eyes searched the photos on the walls, the photos holding many beautiful memories that had happened throughout her life so far. cho (who had just walked through the front door) grabbed chae's hand, looking at her with worry in her eyes.

"chaerin? do you know what's going on?" she asked as they made their way through the hallway, into the kitchen where their parents were sat at the table.

chaerin shook her head, the guilt eating away at her. the siblings were invited to sit down and there was an awkward silence in the air before their father oscar chang began to speak.