→ chapter sixty one

; ♡⋆

; ♡⋆.ೃ࿔*

the sunlight peeked through the curtains and into the ravenclaw dormitory, illuminating the royal blue bedsheets. chaerin chang was propped up against her pillows, her nose in a book as she waited for the day to begin properly. luna and cho were still peacefully sleeping but as it was chae's final exam day, she wanted to relish in the fact that this was the last exam she'd ever have to take.

but of course, her heart was aching slightly as she did not want to leave hogwarts. she'd become so accustomed to her life at the school for the past seven years, that the leaving ceremony that was dawning on her seemed like the last thing she wanted to attend.

although, she still had a further three weeks until graduation the upcoming event made her stomach feel queasy. life after hogwarts seemed different, of course she would be reunited with the twins but chae knew all too well that a war was going to happen. sadly meaning that her first couple of years out of hogwarts seemed to bring nothing but darkness.

her final exam was herbology, chae felt confident that she would pass but still couldn't help the pre-exam nerves. all exams ended tomorrow, the final one being the fifth year's history of magic o.w.l, which chae had helped her friends immensely with.

when the clock beside her showcased that it was 7 am, she finally placed her novel down and crawled out of bed. chae opened her trunk quietly, her small hands fumbled with the lock before she managed to open it and pull out her clean robes.

after the girl had changed, chae picked up her bag full of revision equipment that would benefit her herbology score and left to make her way for the great hall, leaving cho and luna undisturbed. when she finally made it down to the great hall, she sat with hermione, ron and harry who all looked a bit sick.

"oh thank merlin, you finally arrived" said ron, staring at chae with a pleading look in his eyes "please tell me what this means?"

ron handed his parchment over to chae and her eyes fell to the circled word, she pulled out her quill and quickly scribbled down the definition, handing the parchment back to its owner.

the four of them chatted whilst chae poured herself a cup of tea and helped herself to eggs and bacon, she wouldn't dare go into an exam on an empty stomach. in fact, during exam periods the twins had told her that she ate enough food to feed a whole army.

breakfast passed by quickly and chae soon found herself saying goodbye to the trio and making her way over to the greenhouses. on her arrival, she was greeted by professor sprout and was told to take her seat.

across from her, was her cousin sora who she still hadn't spoken to. chae couldn't bring herself to talk to the girl, because after all, they would still be in DA lessons if sora hadn't opened her mouth.

just as professor sprout and the examiners joined them, chae emptied her mind of anything that wasn't herbology and was determined to score another 'O'.

later in the evening, chae was sat in her grandmother's office, celebrating the fact that her exams were now over. if chae could ignore her mother's nagging to become an auror, she'd never have to sit an exam again and she was more than ecstatic about that.

the young ravenclaw lifted the teacup up to her lips, about to take another sip when cries began to echo across the grounds. professor mcgonagall's face quickly contorted into a look of alarm and she abruptly stood up. she pointed a finger at her granddaughter.

"stay here, i mean it chaerin, do not move" she instructed warningly before walking out of the room.

but as if chae was going to listen to that, it sounded dangerous outside and chae refused to let her grandmother wander into a pit of danger without her. within seconds, chae had transfigured into her animagus form and began to sprint after the transfiguration professor. when chae spotted her, she began to follow quietly and just managed to slip out of the door before it shut on her.

when chae approached hagrid's hut, her ears perked up at the sound of yelling and cries. she stood behind her grandmother, crouching back into her hind legs, ready to pounce at the aurors who were attacking hagrid in the middle of the night.

"how dare you!" mcgonagall shouted furiously, sprinting towards the cabin "how dare you!"

"leave him alone! alone, i say" said professor mcgonagall's voice through the darkness "on what grounds are you attacking him? he has done nothing, nothing to warrant such--"

chae hissed violently, the aurors had shot four stunners at her grandmother all at once. the red beams collided with her chest, illuminating the look of surprise on her face. the stunners had knocked the woman off her feet and she landed on the ground with a loud thud, no longer moving.

chae pounced onto the auror closest to her, her claws scratching at him. the man tried to pry the shrieking and hissing cat off of him whilst it furiously swiped at his skin. hagrid took two massive swipes at his attackers, knocking them unconscious. the animagus thought he had been overcome by a spell when the half-giant doubled over but was proved wrong when he stood again, fangs limp body now hanging over his shoulders.

"get him! get him!" umbridge screamed, which caused the anger inside chae to overspill and she could no longer help herself. the nebelung cat pounced onto her next victim, scratching and biting the toad like headmistress who began to scream out in distress. chae did everything she could to cause damage to the woman, whether it be scratching her face, biting her ears, or clawing at her hair.

whilst umbridge tried to escape from the cat, her other helper looked reluctant to go after hagrid who was now running into the forbidden forest with fang on his back. chaerin finally let go of umbridge once hagrid could no longer be seen, and she crawled over to her grandmother.

the cat sat on the woman's chest until somebody came to carry her inside, leaving the students who had been watching wondering what the mysterious cat was.