→ chapter sixty four

; ♡⋆

; ♡⋆.ೃ࿔*

chae's arms were gripped around luna's waist tightly, the feeling of the wind whipping her hair was thrilling, she couldn't even bite back the excited smile that was beginning to appear on her soft lips. although, flying on a creature she could not see but knew all about was also quite strange to her.

however, she had faith in luna so she knew that she would not fall. for once in a very long time, chaerin felt free, as if nothing could reach her up here which was technically true but she decided to ignore the logical side in her head and let her heart take over.

emotions were a funny thing to chae, some days she loathed them and preferred to let her head control her and she would opt for the logical side of things. however, chae's downfall would likely be her heart, she was often controlled by her emotions, deciding what was right without thinking of the logical side.

that was the thing about chaerin chang, she couldn't bare to let the rational side in when she knew the emotional side would benefit her greatly. some would call her an empath, she was gentle with others and understood their feelings greatly, offering kindness wherever she went.

and that was why she was on the back of a thestral flying to the department of mysteries, when her head was trying to tell her it was a bad idea.

within seconds their thestral graced to the pavement and luna dismounted first, before turning around and helping chae down. chae thanked her and brushed her hands against her clothes, wiping off any dust that may have formed.

"where do we go from here?" luna asked harry politely.

"yes harry, please lead us to our deaths" said chae, the sarcasm evident in her voice however the only one who seemed to laugh was ginny.

"over here!" harry replied, chae hurried over to the battered telephone box not wanting to be outside any longer considering twilight had fallen and it was now dark.

the brunette was squished against the wall as the group of them tried to fit in a telephone box. the feeling was a most uncomfortable one and she was certain that ginny's hand was by her butt.

"whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!" harry said.

chae's brown eyes widened slightly, ron's arm bending in a bizarre way to reach the dial. a cool female voice filled their ears once the dial whirred back into place.

"welcome to the ministry of magic. please state your name and business"

"harry potter, ron weasley, hermione granger, chaerin chang" harry said very quickly "ginny weasley, neville longbottom, luna lovegood... we're here to save someone, unless your ministry can do it first!"

"for godric's sake, how many times do i have to tell you, it's chae! not chaerin! my mother uses chaerin when i'm in trouble" chae grumbled, but her comment was ignored.

"thank you" said the cool female voice "visitors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes"

seven badges shot out of the chute where change was usually distributed, hermione picked them up and handed them out.

chae nearly slipped as the telephone box floor began to shudder and the pavement began to rise above them, the thestrals disappearing from their sights. a dull grinding noise could be heard as they descended into the depths of the ministry of magic.

when the door burst open, there was nobody waiting in the atrium for them. chae had never seen the ministry so empty, the lights were dimmer than usual and no fires burned underneath the mantelpieces that were against the wall.

by the time they had reached the correct room, chae had a safe guess at why it was called the department of mysteries and her brain was positively fried from venturing through the other rooms.

chae was gripping her wand with an iron grip, the seven of them venturing into a room that was tall and lined with nothing but shelves of small, dusty glass orbs. considering chae was a seer, she knew exactly what they were. the room was freezing causing chae to shiver lightly and luna offered her cardigan which chae politely declined, not wanting luna to be cold.

the only source of light was the candle brackets attached to the shelves, burning a bright shade of blue, the orbs glimmering slightly behind them.

"bloody hell, i'm starving, i haven't even eaten dinner!" chae whined, and ron nodded his head in agreement.

"tell me about it, i bet this would've been easier if we had eaten before coming!" he said, but their conversation went unnoticed by the others.

chae watched in an apprehensive manner, her eyes following harry who was peering down a shadowy aisle in between two shelves. the silence was rushing through the atmosphere and chae latched her hand onto ginny's, who smiled gently at her.

"you said it was row ninety-seven" hermione's voice whispered "yeah" harry breathed, noticing the sign on the end of the nearest row.

"we need to go right i think" said hermione and chae nodded her head in agreement "that's row fifty-four, so if we go straight down we'll find the right row" chae concluded.

"keep your wands ready" said harry softly.

with one hand wrapped around her wand, and the other wrapped in ginny's hand the seven of them began to creep forward quietly. staying still every once in a while to listen for any sign of movement, but no sound ever greeted them.

"row ninety-seven!" hermione confirmed and they all stood grouped at the end, however chae now had a sickening feeling in her stomach because they had seen no sign of sirius black.

"he's right down at the end, we just can't see him from here" said harry, beginning to lead them down the towering rows of glass balls.

when they reached the end, there was still no sign of sirius and chae's hand fastened tighter around ginny's who rubbed her hand comfortingly.

"harry, i'm terribly sorry but i don't think we're going to find sirius here" chae said gently and hermione agreed with her.

harry did not reply, instead opting for running to look down the end of the empty space between the rows where he did not see sirius nor any sign of struggle.

neville's voice broke through the eerie silence and chae breathed a sigh of relief "harry, it's got your name on it"

harry walked towards the orb neville was staring at, his hand reached out to pick up the orb and hermione shuddered.

"i don't think you should touch it" she warned, but harry's hand had already grasped the glass ball.

chae's pupils dilated slightly in fear and anxiety when harry removed the glass orb from it's shelf. the group watched in anticipation, waiting for something to happen, for a sign or anything at all, but nothing happened.

"harry" hermione's shaking voice alarmed them all, following her line of vision to see a dark figure walking between the rows. their face covered with an elegant mask as they stalked towards them.

a/n~ thank you thank you for 20k reads!! my heart is full and i am so happy to see you like this book, in celebration of goodnight n go reaching 20k, i'm updating twice today! the next chapter will be out shortly <3