→ chapter twenty six

Start from the beginning

"girls, firstly we ask you to understand our reasoning for this, we've tried many times to make things work but it's just not working" oscar sighed.

it was evident the man was feeling rundown, the bags under his eyes sunk into his head and he was unshaven with his hair messy. their mother looked just as bad as she mirrored her husbands grim expression.

"i don't understand" cho said softly.

"there's no easy way to say it, so i'll just go ahead and say it" oscar said.

alice stared at him, a look in her eye that made her look sort of crazy, though she was far from sane she was very far from being crazy. cho's eyes flickered between her parents and her sister, the feeling of uncertainty building in her chest.

"we're divorcing"

silence crept through the tension filled air, cho's face quickly falling and chae rested her head in her hands. hearing the news was so much harder then reading it on a piece of parchment.

"what do you mean you're divorcing? you can't just divorce!" cho yelled, standing up.

"cho sweetie, sit down please" alice called softly "it's for the best, neither one of us can keep arguing with each other, it's not fair on us and it's not fair on you girls"

"i don't get it" said chae as she eyed her parents "i don't get how you expect us to come home, take this news in and feel okay about it"

"chaerin, we're not expecting you to feel any emotion, we know it's going to be a difficult time" oscar explained.

cho and chae sat opposite their parents, tears cascading down cho's face as she silently begged her parents not to divorce.

it wasn't supposed to end like this. the chang family had always been happy, they'd always had each other, they'd always spent christmas, birthdays and other holidays together, they were a family and now their family was being ripped apart.

"have you told him?" chaerin asked bitterly.

alice nodded her head.

"by the end of this week you won't even remember who we are" chae spat, she didn't blame her father nor did she blame her mother. it was hurting her that her and cho would no longer have their father by their side, it hurt so badly that chaerin couldn't even bare to look him in the eye.

cho sniffled quietly as alice chang let out a sigh, staring at her daughters with regret swimming in her eyes but alice knew that this decision was for the best.

chae scoffed as she stood up, leaving the table without permission as she stormed upstairs to her bedroom, slamming her door angrily behind her. she began to cry as she flung herself onto her bed, the tears falling onto her blanket.

later that evening, the atmosphere in the chang household wasn't pleasant. chae had eaten dinner in her bedroom, refusing to talk to her father or her mother. she didn't want to sit at the table and play happy families, she didn't want to sit and watch her parents act as if they didn't just tell their two daughters they're divorcing.

a knock sounded on chae's door and she called for the person to come in, her expression softening immediately when cho walked in, her eyes red and puffy from crying. she closed the door gently and walked over to her sisters bed.