Chapter 85: Weekend trips part 3

Start from the beginning

I smile as the girls play around. They really are like a little family. It's not as little as it probably once was though. I look at the time and sigh. That was a short time to be relaxed. I look over my clothing before getting the stuff for the date.

I pick up the basket and put the food inside. Once it's filled I walk out to the girls. I make eye contact with Mary and she smiles. She's helped me a lot. She's the one who gave my the strength to say what I did this morning.

"I think you girls are going on a date" Mary looks at the girls I hope become mine "We can watch the girls with the help of Pam, Sugar, and Sam"

"Thanks" The girls stand up and Shelby sends me a smile "Lead the way Mari"

I nod and start the walk. They told me a really good spot to take them. It's a bit of a walk but not too bad. I may have taken a few trips to make sure it was perfect. I'm really nervous.

"Calm down Mari" I look over at Judy and she gives a big smile "You'll be fine"

"Thanks" I look ahead and see the spot "Here it is"

"It's pigeon hill" I look back at Madison confused "It's the romance spot on the campground"

"So you got help from the parents huh?" I sigh and nod "It's ok! I'd prefer you do that instead of over stressing"

"I'm still stressing" I take a deep breath and look at them with a smile "But it's getting better"

They all smile and we sit on the hill. So far so good.

-Time skip-
The date has been pretty good so far. They enjoyed my cooking and the conversation has been flowing easily. I smile as they laugh and talk normally with me.

"I think this has been the best date in a while" I look at Emma and she smiles at me "I say you're welcome to join us"

"I agree" Shelby holds up her fifth full plate "Could always use cooking like this"

"But I think she should do something else" I look at Judy worried and I see the evil smirk on her face "We've ended our dates different ways...hope about this one ends with a song?"

"I-I'm not prepared!" I look at the others "I'm not good either"

"You got this" Emma puts a hand on my shoulder "I believe in you Mari"

I take a deep breath and try to remember a song. My voice is raspy and I don't got instruments. I just hope I'm able to do the song I pick justice.

Here goes nothing I guess.

-Maribel singing-
Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me

I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

Somewhere in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover
Something in her style that shows me

I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

You're asking me will my love grow
I don't know, I don't know
You stick around, now it may show
I don't know, I don't know

Something in the way she knows
And all I have to do is think of her
Something in the things she shows me

I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

I get claps from everyone and I blush. I haven't sung in front of people in a while. The clapping stops when Shelby starts humming. We all look at her as she closes her eyes.

-Shelby singing-
When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and gifts
We got yeah we got a lot at stake
And in the end you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn, how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I got, and what I'm not
And who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

Well, I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough (I am tough) he knows (I am loved)
We got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

"I know it's not particularly a date song but it just came to me" Shelby smiles and opens her eyes "I feel like we haven't sung much over this past year"

"It's been a real change compared to all of the random singing breaks" Shelby and Emma laugh leaving us confused "Hey! We have a inside joke!"

"Maribel and Madison" We look at Judy who looks determined "We need to make a inside joke now!"

We all laugh at the seriousness she said that. I look at the laughing girls in front of me and smile. I'm glad that they are gonna let me in. Now I just gotta make sure I don't screw this up.

I really can't imagine being without them.

-Mary pov-
I sit the last girl down for bed and head back to the main area. I sit down next to Janine and silence fills the room. There's papers on the table and rings beside them. I look up at Donald who gives a small smile.

"You know we really should talk to them" Everyone nods before looking back at the papers and rings "So we really are doing this?"

"You two would work great together and we have a job offer in California waiting" James smiles "There's no ill will of bitter feelings"

"What about the girls?" Janine frowns "I just don't feel right not telling them before signing"

"We have to go tonight and they are on a date" Donald's sighs "We werent prepared for them staying tonight"

"You two are sure about this?" Both men nod and I sigh "Then let's sign"

The pens are picked up and the papers get signed. After signing we give hugs and final kisses. The guys grab their bags and leave. I pull Janine into me as she starts to cry. I run circles on her back and rock her.

They aren't choosing work over family. They aren't choosing surprise love over us. They are doing what we told them to do. They are leaving because we don't wanna hold them back any longer.

I sigh as Janine starts sobbing into my shoulder. I pull her as close as I can and whisper encouraging words in her ear. I give her forehead kisses and cheek strokes. This girl has made her way into my heart but we aren't going for anything soon.

We just singled for our divorces. We both need time to move on from the years we had invested into those marriages. So many memories and trials. I hope they really do come to New York to visit.

I hear the door open and footsteps come past. I think they stop but don't ask questions. Everything can be answered in Lima tomorrow. Today was the last day for the campgrounds. Tomorrow it becomes a cheer camp.

Tomorrow starts my life as a single woman.