Just be yourself - Gwen x Shy!Male reader

Requested by: MFC4Graafschap

AU: High school

"Then after that, Duncan nearly crashed his dad's car!"

You stayed silent, listening to your girlfriend Gwen beam about her time with Duncan over the weekend.

You and Gwen were at her favorite restaurant, on a date, which you both haven't had in awhile. You were happy to spend time with your girlfriend of four months again, but sometimes, it seemed like she preferred to spend time with Duncan over you. 

Duncan is a bad boy, who is funny, adventurous, and into carving skulls on trees, whereas you were shy and into poetry. Duncan and Gwen were already close friends, before she met you and it was hard for you to open up to Gwen, until she kept approaching you. Once you two were best friends, you were confident enough to ask her out during homecoming. 

"That sounds cool." You chuckled, then took a sip of your water. 

Gwen smiled at you from across the table. "Yeah. It's good to spend time with you though, Y/N."

"We haven't done that in awhile." You said, looking down. 

Gwen shrugged, then shoved a fry in her mouth. "I'm sorry. I've just been.. busy."  

You smiled pushing down your sadness. "Well, at least we are hanging out now. I'm looking forward to the movie." 

Gwen checked the time, then stood up. "We should get going. The movie will be starting in an hour."

After you and Gwen paid, you both got into your car to head to the movies. 

"After the movies, can you drop me to Duncan's? We're going to graffiti the back of the school." Gwen asked, putting on her seatbelt.

You felt your heart drop a little, but smiled and nodded. "Sure." 

"Principle Evans is going to be so pissed!" Gwen laughed, looking towards you. "Duncan is planning on spraying a skull, as a way of marking his territory. He's so funny."

You silently nodded, unsure of what to say. You didn't want to be controlling of who Gwen hangs out with, but you felt so excluded and hurt that she spent time with Duncan more than you and would talk about him like he was the most interesting person in the world. Did she talk about you like that to others? Most likely not. 

After twenty minutes, you and Gwen arrived at the movies. She bought  popcorn, while you bought your favorite snack. You both were seeing the conjuring, which Gwen picked out. 

You sat next to Gwen in the back row, and leaned into your seat. You did your best to focus on the movie rather than your thoughts. You felt Gwen reach for your hand, and you turned towards her smiling. You squeezed her hand a little, and for a moment, your doubts went away. 

"Thanks for dropping me." Gwen says, pecking your cheek. "See you tomorrow Y/N."

"Yeah." You told her, as she gets out of the car, then closed the door from behind her. "See you then."

You sighed, once she left, then started driving home. 

Gwen wouldn't leave you for Duncan.. Right? You two have been through so much together. There is no way Duncan can replace that.. Right? 

You turned the music louder, hoping it would distract you from these thoughts. You decided to push it in, because to you, you were just being paranoid. 

Gwen loves you for who you are. 

By the time you got home, you went into your room to work on your poem for your recital next week. Despite being shy, you were in the creative writing club, where you met your friends Cody and Noah.