Voice of reason - Duncan x male!reader

Requested by: nenenari
AU: High school
-

"Y/N, you won't believe the prank I've come up with!" Duncan exclaimed, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "I'm going to set up a fake explosion in the cafeteria during lunchtime. It'll be legendary!"

You and Duncan had been friends since childhood and were currently dating for about six months already. While Duncan reveled in his reputation as a troublemaker, you were his voice of reason. You were the kind of guy who always thought things through, offering sensible advice to keep Duncan from going too far.

"Now, why would you do that?" You asked in disbelief.

"Because it would be funnt."

You gave him a worried look. "Duncan, that sounds incredibly dangerous. We could hurt someone or cause panic. Let's think of something less risky."

"Everything would be fine." He insisted, brushing off your concerns.

"Duncan, no-"

Duncan got up from your spot from under the tree, walking away, ready to plan out his risky prank.

You felt a wave of irritation wash all over you. Duncan never seemed to listen to you until it was too late. It happens every time and sometimes, you wonder what's the point in trying to be the voice of reason, when he never learns. However, you cared for Duncan too much to let anything happen to it.

There was this one time, he filmed a video of Harold's embarrassing moment with ripping his pants and then posted it on the big screen during prom. He almost got suspended, but if it wasn't for you suggesting to the principal a compromise to make Duncan have work detail, it would have happened and went on his record.

You remembered how he promised he wouldn't do anything like that again, but what he actually meant was "I'll just find other ways to cause trouble."

As lunchtime approached, Duncan's excitement grew, but you couldn't shake off the nagging feeling of impending disaster. You decided to stay close to Duncan, just in case things took an unexpected turn. You sat with your friends Noah and Owen, with the three of you watching out for any signs of Duncan.

Duncan walked into the cafeteria with a huge black backpack, causing your heart to stop a little. You rushed over to stop him, but before you could reach him, Duncan got out his fake explosives and started throwing it.

To you and Duncan's shock, the plan completely backfired. The explosion was much larger than anticipated, causing debris to fly and panic to ensue among the students.

"Duncan!" You yelled out. "What have you done?!"

Duncan tried to stop the explosion, as it lost control, destroying the cafeteria. "It was an accident! I'll fix it."

"Duncan, wait!" You yelled, trying to hold him back.

However, to your horror, Duncan ended up getting injured with a deep cut on his arm from a flying piece of debris.

Your heart sank as you rushed closer to him, leading him out of the cafeteria. A bunch of students were still screaming and making their way out.

"I told you, Duncan! I warned you this was too dangerous!" You scolded, feeling irritated and worried at the same time. "Look at what happened! You could have seriously hurt yourself, or worse!"

Duncan winced in pain, his adrenaline-fueled excitement replaced by regret. "I... I messed up, Y/N," He admitted, his voice filled with sincerity. "I should have listened to you. I never meant for anyone to get hurt, especially not myself."

"Duncan, I care about you, and I don't want to see you get hurt. You need to realize that your actions have consequences," You said, your voice tender but firm. "Promise me that you'll think twice before engaging in such dangerous pranks again."

Duncan nodded, "I promise."

You hoped he meant it this time, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

—-

Because of Duncan's stupid prank, he was rushed to the hospital and then taken to Juvie afterwards. He was estimated to be there for about a year, which made you feel heartbroken. However, you knew that Duncan deserved it, as much as you loved him.

You made it a point to visit him as often as possible, offering your support.

"Duncan." You said, walking into the room. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." He whispered, his voice filled with regret.

"I'm here for you. I know you made a mistake, but I believe in your ability to change."

Duncan sighed, leaning closer to the table. "Thanks, Y/N. I messed up big time. I let my reckless nature get the best of me, and now I'm paying the price."

You reached out, gently taking Duncan's hand. "We all make mistakes, Duncan. The important thing is to learn from them and grow as a person. I want you to know that I'm not giving up on you. I believe in your potential to change, to become a better version of yourself."

Duncan nodded, solemnly. "I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I promise you, Y/N, I'll do everything I can to make it right."

You smiled, offering reassurance. "Duncan, change won't happen overnight, but I know you have it in you to turn your life around. I'll be here every step of the way, supporting you and reminding you of the person you can be."

Soon, the visit came to an end and you had to leave. You turned to Duncan before leaving the room, "Stay safe, Duncan. I'll see you tomorrow."

Duncan nodded, feeling a glimmer of hope. He knew that change wouldn't happen overnight but he knew he would try to be more responsible with his pranks.

He knew he had to find a balance between mischief and responsibility. Because of him, people got injured and he felt awful for that. However, with you by his side, he felt a glimmer of hope, a light in the darkness.

With your love and guidance, Duncan found the strength to face his past, embrace change, and strive for a brighter future.