Don't underestimate me - Jo x reader

Requested by: zlurpii
AU: High school
-

It wasn't uncommon for people to underestimate you. Because you were the captain of the cheer squad, and pretty feminine, many people put labels on you. Aside from cheerleading, you also played in some sports such as soccer, tennis, and volleyball. However, that didn't stop many people from assuming you weren't strong enough to handle challenges on your own.

Sometimes you liked to underestimate people, because that meant you could see their expressions once you proved them wrong. Although sometimes it could get irritating, especially when you feel you need to prove yourself constantly.

It was bad enough for you to be surrounded by the jocks such as Geoff, Jo, Brick, and Lightning. Brick and Geoff never gave you any problems, but Jo and Lightning thought they were the shit. They never took you seriously when you had an idea, and they always declared themselves in charge of everything instead of giving others a chance. They were strong leaders, so no one questioned them.

Jo was fierce, and you couldn't help but develop a massive crush on her since you joined the soccer team. You didn't think she liked you, even in a friendly way, but you still respected her a lot.
More than once, you tried getting her to notice your potential, despite how much she underestimates you. You had hoped you would get a chance to show her that side to you, that would hopefully win her heart.

"Alright people, our team has been doing shit lately at beating the other team." Jo began, as your team lined up. "We need to get it together, or we'll lose again. We have lost last week, and we have another game coming two weeks from now. You rocks for brains better listen up, and take this seriously."

The team sighed, as they listened to Jo rant. Some nodded in agreement, while others looked down, exhausted.

Jo was a great leader, but sometimes she takes her role too seriously and takes competition too far. She would do anything to win, even if it means pushing past her limits. Unfortunately, it also means pushing the team past their limits and working them too hard.

You raised your hand, about to suggest an idea. Jo glared at you, "What, Barbie doll?"

"The team is overworked, that's why we're losing. You keep hosting practices every day, when that's not good for our bodies. Practices should be three times a week, and have rest days in between."

Jo scoffed, "No, beauty queen. What this team needs is more practice. We need to practice more than we already have. There's no time to be lazy."

You sighed, and Jo ordered the team to get into places. Everyone began practicing soccer, and you could see how much everyone was exhausted, straining their muscles. Jo was covered in sweat, pushing herself further with an exhausted look in her eyes.

You approached Jo, holding a soccer ball, "Jo, seriously, the team needs a rest day. I'm noticing all of us are straining and getting exhausted. Even you are too."

Jo panted, putting her hands on her knees, "I'm not straining! I'm not weak like you guys!"

You shook your head, then spoke loudly to get everyone's attention, much to Jo's dismay. You cupped your hands towards your mouth, "Guys! Let's take a break today. You all need to rest your muscles. We have to take things slow!"

Jo scowled at you, putting her hands on her hips, "What are you doing, lip gloss? We're doing just fine, we don't need to slow it down."

Jo ran across the field to kick the ball into the net, when she slipped onto the ground. She groaned, holding her foot. She winced, "I think I just sprained my foot!"