I got your back - Jo x reader

Requested by: Booboobearjesse
Setting: TDROTI -  Ice Ice baby 

-

Pressure wasn't new to you, especially in this competition. Everyone was at each other's throats and sometimes, that can be intimidating when you have to work with those same people who are so cut throat. 

It didn't help that Scott, one of the more irritating people on the island, was always trying to get under your skin. Despite being from the other team, he would laugh whenever you would mess up during challenges, and try to ruin your confidence. It didn't help that it made you even more embarrassed in front of your crush, which was Jo. 

You tried your best to concentrate on the cliff climbing part of the challenge, but you had trouble because of all the distractions Chris and Chef brought. There were explosives, ice blocks and junk being thrown at all of you. 

"Ouch!" You winced, feeling a rock hit your arm. You tried your best to not rub your arm, so you won't fall off the cliff. 

Scott snickered and you glared at him, trying your best to not snap back at him. It was obvious his goal was to provoke a reaction out of you. You sighed then continued climbing up the cliff as fast as you could, knowing that if he reached out, he'd grab you by the hair to humiliate you. 

You managed to pass by Jo, who was engrossed in a conversation with Brick. You blushed slightly and tried to keep up with their pace. 

Scott tumbled down the cliff and you snickered, causing Jo and Brick to look at you. Jo looked towards what you were laughing at and she chuckled. 

"Nice one, Y/N." She called out to you, giving you a small smirk. You blushed then followed her and Brick up the cliff, making it to the top. 

Jo jumped up and down, thinking your team won but to her dismay, not all of you arrived, which disqualified you guys. Jo sighed in frustration and you gathered the courage to speak to her, "It's okay, Jo. Let's beat them during the next challenge."

To your surprise, Jo nodded in agreement, "Yeah, we got this."

It was now the flag challenge, where the teams had to capture it while destroying the other teams' forts. As you were running, you couldn't help but keep slipping and bumping into the other contestants. 

While Scott was trying to sabotage his team, he noticed this and started hurling insults at you. He called you names such as 'Incompetent, Clumsy, dumbass, idiot and stupid." His voice was so loud that many of the other contestants looked concerned yet disgusted by his behavior. 

"You're such a loser, Y/N! Why aren't you voted off yet? Can't handle a simple challenge?" Scott yelled, giving you a sly smirk. 

You felt your face heat up in embarrassment and glanced at Jo, hoping she didn't notice. However to your disappointment, she was looking at you and Scott in shock. If you weren't mistaken, she looked angry. 

Jo's protective instincts immediately kicked in. She stepped forward, positioning herself between you and Scott. "That's enough, Scott," she said firmly. "Y/N is just as capable as anyone here. Don't underestimate her."

Scott scoffed, clearly unimpressed by Jo defending you. "Oh please, Jo. We all know she's just dead weight. She's holding us back."

Jo's eyes narrowed, her competitive spirit fueling her determination. "You're wrong, Scott. Y/N may struggle sometimes, but she has a strength that you can't see. She's brave for even stepping foot in this competition."

Your eyes widened, and you felt your heart swell with affection for the beautiful girl you admired from afar. You have always admired Jo's strength and resilience, but seeing her stand up for you made you admire her even more. 

Jo turned back to you, her voice softening. "You've got this, Y/N. Believe in yourself, and don't let anyone else's words define you."

You smiled, a newfound confidence shining through. "Thank you, Jo. I won't let you down."

As the challenge continued, Jo watched you take a deep breath and step forward. You stumbled again at first, but with each obstacle, your determination grew stronger. Jo smiled proudly, knowing she was able to help you in some way. She had always admired your courage and thought you were pretty cute. 

At the end of the challenge, you surprised everyone, including yourself by helping your team capture the flag and dodging the snow balls that were being thrown at you. You tried your best to follow Jo's techniques and hit the snowballs back like they were volleyballs. 

Jo was beyond proud of you, and she gave you a high five along with a proud smile. 

"You did good, Y/N. Also, remember to not get too starstruck by me next time." She winked, giving you a nudge. You felt your heart race, knowing she caught you stealing glances at her while you were doing the challenge.  

You blushed then stammered out, "Was it that obvious?"

She shrugged and smiled sheepishly, "Maybe. I'm just messing with you. Want to walk along the beach together?" 

You nodded eagerly, feeling butterflies erupt in your stomach. "I'd love to!"

Jo smiled warmly at you, trying to act casual and unassuming about it, as she intertwined her hands with yours, guiding you to climb down with her from the cliff. She always felt a level of deep respect for you, knowing that you never gave up and she was more than happy to spend time with you by herself tonight to tell you how she feels.