A night of understanding - Alejandro x autistic!reader

Requested by: Yeetyeet247
Setting: A cafe

My sister has autism so I based some of these features off her + research :) Remember that everyone experiences this condition differently.

-

After forming an unlikely friendship on Total Drama, you and Alejandro have recently decided to go on your first date after a long time of not seeing each other. When you were on Total Drama with Alejandro, he made sure to protect you and make sure your autism was understood by the other contestants. Despite your initial skepticism about him, you two managed to form a close bond that ended up becoming romantic.

You nervously waited outside the cafe for Alejandro to arrive. The two of you have been reconnecting over the last two weeks and you wondered if he truly understood your autism and how it might affect your new relationship. You spotted Alejandro walking towards you with a warm smile on his face.

"Hey, Y/N." He says softly, "I'm really happy to see you tonight."

"I'm happy too." You smiled, walking with him into the cafe.

Together, you entered the cafe, where you both lined up to order some light sandwiches and desserts. Afterward, you both headed towards a cozy corner booth. Alejandro pulled out your chair for you and you thanked his kind gesture.

However, you noticed that Alejandro was subtly scanning the room, looking for any potential triggers that could overwhelm you. It was a small gesture, but it made you feel understood and valued.

You looked up and Alejandro complimented you on your dress, sincerely.  You blushed, feeling a little embarrassed.  But you appreciated the compliment nonetheless.

"I'm not used to compliments." You admitted, avoiding his gaze.

Alejandro nodded, "Well, with me you will get used to it. You really are beautiful, Y/N."

"Thank you."

For the next hour, Alejandro asked you open ended questions, allowing you to express yourself at your own pace. You felt comfortable sharing your passions and interests, including your unique perspective on the world as someone with autism.

"Is it true that people with autism memorize the periodic table?" Alejandro asked, genuinely curious.

You laughed at the idea, shaking your head. "Alejandro, not everyone with autism is the same. Sometimes, it looks different for us. I can't memorize the periodic table, but I have a good memory for remembering people's names and faces. I can read people well, and I have an eye for detail. I can also be very critical, which is good and bad. I can see patterns in things that others might not notice."

"That's amazing." Alejandro said in genuine awe. "It's important to have those aspects."

"Exactly!" You exclaimed, giving him a smile. "And sometimes, we have different triggers. For example, I can't stand loud noises or crowded spaces."

Alejandro replied with a grin, "That makes sense. I can't stand crowds or loud noises myself, so I totally understand where you're coming from."

"Yeah, crowds suck." You chuckled, taking a sip out of your coffee. "But I believe that there are some people with autism who have a better tolerance for crowds. As I mentioned, we all have different triggers."

You noticed Alejandro's patience and empathy shining through throughout the date. He understands when you need a moment of silence or a break from sensory overload. He even shared a few stories about his friends with autism to help you remember you're not alone.

"Are you okay?" Alejandro asked, gently, noticing the cafe becoming noisier as more people arrived. The tables were filling up quickly, and the hum of the conversation was becoming louder.