Marku/Raine Alternate/Bonus Ch. Part 1

For all of you who wanted a little bit 'more', I hope you enjoy this Alternate Reality/Bonus chapter. These events were very close to being a part of the book, but in the end, I decided not to so these chapters (this one as well as the next one) are not canon to the story. 

The song is sultry and sexy and VERY Marku. I highly recommend you listen!

Marku/Raine Bonus Chapter—Part 1

Marku

Bath time lasted longer than normal. Flickering flame of nearly fifty candles danced in the darkness around us like stars on a moonlit night. Their luminescence cast an ethereal glow on Raine's creamy white skin, reflecting off of the water droplets trailing down her bare shoulders.

The healer's latest suggestion—aromatic therapy, worked toward total curative immersion, bath salts for the outside of her body, and soothing cedar wood, citrus and lotus blossom, perfuming the air, for the inside.

Raine's nostrils flared as she inhaled the heady scents. The potent concoction seemed to be working. She was more relaxed and resisted getting out of the marble tub at our normal time. Fine with me. I was all for anything that took her mind away from her pain.

She twisted slightly in my arms so she could look up at me. I smoothed a stray lock of hair away from her cheek, tucking it behind her ear. Holding my gaze, she asked quietly, "Where is your mate?"

Her question caught me off guard. She never asked about Adorna. I studied her expression, not quite sure what she was looking for. After a moment, I replied, "She has her own living quarters. As you already know, we have an open arrangement. I don't ask who she spends nights with and she doesn't ask me."

She considered my answer. "Was it always that way? You said you never loved her. Did you mean that?"

I trailed my fingers along her jaw. "Why do you ask?"

Her face fell. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." She began to turn back around.

I wanted to kick myself. I stopped her movement. "No, wait. Of course, I don't mind telling you. I was just curious what caused your questions."

For some reason, a slight blush rose on her cheeks. She looked away. Now I was really confused. I shifted her in my arms so she wouldn't have to twist her body so far and lifted her chin with my finger. She looked up at me through her lashes.

"No. I never loved her," I answered honestly.

"Never?" Her liquid blue eyes bore into mine. I still didn't know what motivated her line of questioning, but I held her gaze openly, hoping she would find whatever she was searching for. The moment lingered. Attempting to break the tension, I reminded her wryly, "I've already told you I wasn't capable of romantic notions such as love."

She rolled her eyes and relaxed her head against my chest again. "Does...she know I'm here?"

"Yes, she knows."

Several more minutes went by. I wondered if she'd fallen asleep, but no.

"Does she know..." she hesitated, "you offered me her title?"

The whole conversation made me nervous, but I wouldn't give her anything other than the truth. "No."

She nodded her head against my chest. Silence lingered. I wished I could see her face.

"What does she think...about me being here?"

"I don't know, exactly," I replied carefully. "It isn't a conversation I would allow. She knows that."