You're worth it (Cheryl x reader)

request: Could you please do a Cheryl x reader where the reader is normally quiet/reserved but gets very protective when it comes to Cheryl?

summary: Reader doesn't hesitate to fight back when it comes to Cheryl

written by Jasmine

"Babe?" Cheryl asked. You hummed in response, keeping your gaze on the book you were reading.

"What's it like to fly under the radar?" She questioned. You furrowed your brows, dog earring the page and closing your book.

"Why do you ask?"

"Just always wondered."

"Well, I don't know. I've never thought about it," You answered, running your fingers through her hair. She had her head on your lap, her face twisted like she was thinking hard.

"Maybe if my family wasn't so terrible I could do it too," She whispered.

"Hey!" You scolded. "You are not your parents, Cheryl."

"I feel like I am," She mumbled. She sat up, adjusting her hair.

"You're not." You picked up your book again as students started to file into the room, as the people who didn't have spares in this block got out of class.

"Hey, Cheryl!" Someone called, and she smiled towards the person. She stood up, leaving you alone on the couch. You ignored the person who took her place, continuing to read your book.

"What's up, (y/n)?" The person asked, and you recognized the voice as James, a popular boy from the football team. You ignored him, flipping the page of your book.

"Right, forgot you don't talk," He added, shrugging. "Guess I'll just talk with myself.

"Mhm," You hummed.

"I don't think I even know what your voice sounds like!" He pushed, shoving your arm gently.

"What would you like me to say?" You asked, closing your book. Everyone turned to look at you, eyebrows raised.

"Well that was not the answer I expected," James joked, causing a few people to laugh.

"Sorry," You mumbled, wishing that everyone would stop staring at you.

"Isn't it weird how you're dating the biggest attention seeker in the school? I mean first, she bathed in the glory of her brother's death, and then her father's, and she even tried to kill herself! Seriously, how have you stuck around through all of that?"

Your gaze snapped up from your lap to the boy, anger rushing through every inch of your body. 
"What did you just say?" You asked.

"That your girlfriend sucks, basically," He said, leaning against the back of the couch. You glanced at the crowd that was now far more intrigued than before, and you noticed Cheryl standing amongst them. The hurt look on her face made you even more upset, and you turned back to James.

"You know, I wish I could see where you're coming from," You started. "But as far as I'm concerned, I am the only person in this room who truly knows Cheryl. So I suggest you keep your mouth shut."

"Maybe I can take lessons on how to do that from you," James shot back. You tossed your book onto the table in front of you, standing up.

"Insult me all you want, James," You spat. "But if you ever say anything rude about her, you'll regret it."

"What do you consider rude? Like saying that she deserves exactly what her brother got?" James asked. You bit your lip, shaking your head lightly.

"You're life must be pretty damn sad to say that to someone," You countered.

"And you must be pretty whipped to be this defensive about Cheryl."

"I'm not whipped, I love her!" You practically yelled, throwing your arms into the air. "Don't talk about things you don't understand."

James finally just shrugged, and everyone began mumbling to each other. You snatched your book from the table, turning to Cheryl. You stomped towards her, grabbing her wrist and dragging her from the room.

You pulled her all the way out to the parking lot of the school, not too sure exactly where you were going to go.

"(y/n), please slow down!" She exclaimed. You stopped walking, turning to look at her.

"You know nothing he said is right," You mumbled, dropping the grip you had on her wrist.

"Why'd you defend me?" She asked. You scoffed.

"Because I love you! You don't deserve to be spoken about like that."

"He was insulting you, too. You're just going to get hurt if you do that," She practically whispered, placing a hand on your cheek.

"If I get hurt for protecting someone I love, so be it. I love you, Cheryl," You said, pulling her closer to you.

"I love you too, (y/n)."