Let me love the lonely (Cheryl x reader)

Request: A Cheryl x reader imagine based off the song Let Me Love the Lonely by James Arthur

On the outside Cheryl seemed cold and callous.

That's how she liked it.

People feared her so they didn't look long enough to see all the pain she hiding underneath. 

Somehow though, you broke down her walls.

She let you in, she showed you that pain and all you wanted to do was take it away.

She talked you into being on the homecoming committee she was in charge of.

She paced around the gym as everyone worked and laughed and smiled.  

She would stop to help someone with something and they would try to start a conversation.

You looked over from where you were setting up the refreshment tables to see her usual all-so-convincing smile you knew she was faking.

You laugh at all the jokes, even the ones you know. Funny I'm doing that too. Alone in a crowded room, the one string that's out of tune. Trust me, I feel like that too you thought to yourself. 

She was holding onto what little control she still had over her life.

Even if it was something so remote as putting together the perfect homecoming dance.

Lighthouse without the lights, you smile without your eyes. I know 'cause I do that too. Your own worst enemy, you think no one sees. I do 'cause I'm like that too. 

She held her head up high as she moved from person to person, keeping everything running smoothly. 

You saw her smile fading as the afternoon went on.

Her eyes grew tired and her stance became tense.

You did the only thing you knew to do.

You casually walked to her, grabbing her hand and leading her to the empty hallway.

You pulled her into a tight hug and kissed the top of her head, "You're doing great Cheryl."

She didn't speak but you felt her relax in your embrace.

She knew she didn't always have to act so strong with you.

Let me love the lonely out of you. Let me love the pain you're going through. I think I've saved myself by saving you. Let me love the lonely out of you.

And you did.

Cheryl never felt alone again.