"But you wouldn't be using her if she wants more from you.  Does she want that?"

He nodded miserably. "She has shared her desires with me, but I have explained that it would not be right of me to engage in any sort of sexual play with her, since she is my pet."

There was a feral quality and desperate tone to his words. I had already seen it happen, but I suspected there was much more. I pressed, "Talon, did this behavior happen frequently to you as a pet?" 

It was obvious in the way he cringed hard and flushed with embarrassment, he didn't want to tell me, but he answered, "Mistress had games she like to play, and they were always to test our endurance to her punishments."

"What forms of punishment did she employ?"I asked carefully.

He hesitated, much longer this time and I wondered if I should ask the question again. Finally he answered, "Several but her favorite was...spanking because she could reach more intimate areas when positioned correctly."

I was certain I didn't want to know the answer to this question but I asked tightly, "How did she position you?"

"Kneeling, with our heads down, and our legs..."

I cut him off. I understood what he meant now and asked through clenched teeth, "What behavior predicated this type of punishment?"

"Disobedience wasn't necessary to incur her wrath." He shuddered hard at the memory. "She enjoyed doing it, so it was almost a daily occurrence."

"Daily?!" I breathed in horror.

He continued, "Yes, she liked to display her skill in front of other vampires. And every time was a game. If you made any sound, the pain escalated."

"Okay," I stopped him. I wouldn't put him through any more memories.  I was finding it hard to breathe as unbridled rage coursed through my body. So strong, that I was startled at the force of it. I didn't think it was possible but I had to ask and whispered, "Besides her punishments and sick games, was there more?"

My heart sank when he couldn't hold back his tears and he whispered, "Amelia..."

No, no, no...I already knew where this was going and guessed, "Did you love her?"

He nodded, still unable to speak.

I could barely breathe as I asked, "What happened to her?"

His face was haunted as he replied, "I killed her."

I couldn't help my gasp. It was not the response I was expecting, and I struggled to form a rational thought. After a moment, I asked the most simple and expected follow up question, "Why?"

"Amelia was a bright star, my one and only good thing in the hell that was my life. But I was Mistress's favorite pet, and she was very possessive of me. When she found out my love for Amelia, she tortured her in front of me, slowly and painfully.  She told me only I could end Amelia's suffering, because the torture would continue until I chose to take her life myself.  I held out as long as I could, but by the second hour, Amelia was begging me to let her go. So, I kissed her goodbye and slit her throat, releasing her from her torment.  It was my fault; she is dead because she loved me."

I had no words.

There was nothing sufficient in the English language for me to relay the rush of emotions that flooded over me. On the outside, I gathered his hands in mine and I soothed him the best way I knew how.

But on the inside, I swore finding and delivering my own personal brand of justice to this bitch was going to be my priority. She would die and she would die painfully, knowing that her actions toward him sealed her fate.  I had never felt lethal intent flow through me before, but I recognized and calmly embraced it. This wasn't a rash emotional decision – it was the right decision.