Book 2|21. Ivy & Talon

Start from the beginning

I needed to get Raine out of here. Now.

I looked back to her chair, only to find she was already in motion toward the quivering pet. As I stood, Cage caught my attention. His expression was stone cold and I understood what he wanted. He knew just as well as I did what was going to happen in a very few minutes. I nodded, letting him know I was already working on it.

I darted across the room and grabbed Raine around the waist to steer her in the direction of the private room we shared before. I didn't dare touch the pet. The poor thing would probably have a panic attack right there, so I hoped Raine had a grip on her as I pulled them into motion. She looked up at me in surprise. The angry set of my face must have been sufficient for her to understand she needed to get moving. She whispered urgently to the girl, "Come quickly! We are going to take care of you."

When we made it into the room, I realized I didn't want to chance going back out too quickly, and pulled out my phone. I sent a quick text to Micage: Let me know when it's safe to return.

His response was almost immediate: I'd rather have my innards eaten by a wildebeest than endure this shit, but yes, of course I will stay and let you know.

I had to chuckle quietly at his response.

Raine glanced at me questioningly. I just shook my head. She moved on to more pertinent matters, "Alaric, let me have your coat and can you call Talon? I want him to come get Ivy."

I had already been making a point not to look in the young girl's direction, trying to do whatever little I could to make this easier on her. I quite willingly slipped off my long jacket, thankful she wouldn't continue to endure the embarrassment of being so revealed. I called Talon in the next instant to give him orders.

Raine interrupted my conversation with him, "Even with your jacket, I don't want her walking naked underneath. Is there a way that Talon can grab some clothes out of our closet before he comes here? She looks about my size. Shorts and a T-shirt should suffice until I can make other arrangements."

"He doesn't have a key to get in," I murmured, thinking about the best way to accomplish what we needed. "I'll send a security detail to him, along with the key. Once he gathers what is necessary, they can accompany him back here. Given the recent splash you have made in the vampire community as a whole, I don't think it is wise to let either one of them travel without security."

Her expression was tight as she replied grimly, "You are right. I wouldn't want either of them hurt as retribution against me."

I returned my attention to Talon on the phone. "Did you hear all of that?"

He acknowledged that he did and understood what was required of him. When I completed my call, I sent the security detail on their way, and asked Raine pointedly, "Do you want me to make living arrangements for her as well?" I wasn't sure if Raine intended to keep her as a pet, or return her to her mother. It was clear she had no intention of relinquishing her at the moment. I suspected it was for her safety.

She answered, "Not yet. We will decide all of that when the meetings are concluded, and I get a chance to talk with her tonight."

I intentionally kept my distance, but listened as Raine spoke gently with the girl, "You are mine now. No one is going to hurt you. Talon is coming to get you, and you will stay with him until I'm finished this evening."

"Who is Talon?" the girl's voice shook as she stared at Raine with wide eyes, the color of darkened moss. Her long dark curly hair was currently in a state of chaotic disarray. She nervously played with it with her fingers.

Raine answered, "He is also my pet. You will like him. He is quiet and gentle, but he has strength inside of him. When I return this evening, we will address your needs."

Talon arrived shortly thereafter. His eyes swept over Ivy in concern and understanding. He handed Raine the clothing, and instinctively joined me across the room. We both stared at the wall, so that Ivy could get dressed. I heard her whisper to Raine, confusion lacing her tone, "Is that him?"

Raine must have nodded, because Ivy whispered, "But he doesn't have a collar..."

Even without seeing her face, I knew Raine was smiling gently at the girl. She explained, "That is because he belongs to me. I do not want him to feel, or act, like a caged animal. I want him to embody the strong man that he is. He is not my plaything. In the short time that I have known him, I see qualities inside of him that I intend to nurture so that he grows into his fullest potential."

Ivy's surprise was evident as she breathed, "Oh..."

From my peripheral vision, I saw Talon quickly swipe his hand across his cheek. He had heard Raine's words as well and they had brought him to tears. I was certain no other owner had ever given him as much, or really any, consideration. If she was right about him, and I suspected she was, his loyalty and devotion to her would be unbreakable and without question.

She may not have originally wanted authority, but I couldn't deny that it suited her exceptionally well. I suspected that both Ivy and Talon would grow to love her dearly over time. And while Echo and his men's loyalty had been forced, I could still clearly recall her obvious affection and loving touch with them.

Once Ivy was dressed, Raine addressed Talon, "Please have her stay with you and watch over her, until we return tonight. I'd also like her to eat something if she feels like she can. Alaric, would Vasile be available to cook for her?"

"Certainly," I replied, pulling out my phone again to make the arrangements.

Before they left, Raine warned, "Do not go outside alone for the time being. This is for your own safety. I acquired you both under unique circumstances from very less-than-desirable owners who didn't particularly want to let you go, but we gave them no choice. I can share the stories later if you want to hear them. But for now, you are already aware of the depravity of some of these vampires, so please use discretion and caution."

"Yes, mistress," Talon immediately replied.

Ivy looked at Talon and then back to Raine. She followed his lead and whispered, "Yes, mistress.