Links And Moments by Pieequals36

FanFiction.net

Links and Moments by Pieequals36

TV » iCarly
Rated: T
Language: English
Characters: Freddie B., Sam P.
Words: 2,817
Published: Nov 17, 2009

***

1. I swear I don't want this/there's a reason not to want this/but I forgot

The first time she noticed anything different was after the kiss. Well, technically, she didn't notice straight away or clearly there would have been no dentist revelations and screaming matches in her living room. But thinking back Carly did notice something. It was subtle, so subtle that without knowing all circumstances surrounding this moment, it just flew right over her head.

After Sam's wacky-gas-confession Carly went back, meticulously tracing Sam and Freddie's every interaction since that night. Not that she was curious, or jealous anything, God no. The feeling of emptiness in her stomach, or the fact she'd bitten her nails back so far they had begun to bleed had nothing at all to do with Sam and Freddie's pairing of the lips. But just to be sure, Carly didn't dwell on the actual kiss. She didn't like to picture it.

So instead the brunette focused on everything else including this moment. It was the day after said incident, the three sat eating fruit kebabs at the kitchen table. Conversation flowed, occasional insults exchanged, nothing spectacularly different at all. Everything just seemed the same. There was no indication that anything had changed. But something had changed; something that would rock the close-knit threesome's world. But for now, all was the same. All was calm in the ICarly kingdom.

Apparently.

She remembers clearly now, Sam and Freddie both reaching for the large bottle of Peppy cola sitting centrepiece on the table. Fingers brushed, blushes rose and Sam pulled back sharply, her hand retreating to her lap. She can remember Freddie staring at the blonde, studying her profile with a countenance of confusion and interest. Up until Sam's confession, Carly merely thought that he too was wondering why the hell Sam hadn't beaten him into submission and downed what was left of the Peppy Cola. She put it down to the fight, thinking that Sam was trying to ease up on Freddie a bit. Guilt was not a feeling Sam dealt with well. She thought this was her weird way of saying sorry. And when Sam's eyes met Carly's, wide and glazed, Carly smiled. She was proud of her friend for making the effort. She remembers thinking how odd it was that Sam looked almost...sad. It was the same look she had when she killed Carly's guinea pig by accident and then buried it in the plant pot. She made a mental note to make sure to check the plant pot again later.

2. Gimme that strange relationship/One of us gotta let go of this/I keep pushing and you keep holding on

The second time Carly noticed it was slightly more obvious. And it bothered her even more than the first time. Standing in the hallway talking with Sam, Freddie emerged to greet them from inside his apartment. He was jumping up and down excitedly, talking about some equipment he'd just won on the internet by entering one of their ICarly skits. He started to explain how he could now access more effects, something about producing now being a flawless process. Honestly, Carly zoned out. Sam however decided enough was enough and punched him on the shoulder.

Freddie was not fazed. Not even a little. In fact, he punched her back. Not hard, but hard enough that she stumbled sideways into the doorframe, looking more than a little surprised. Carly couldn't help but giggle as Freddie bustled past Sam and gathered her up into his arms, shaking her a little. She hugged back. Of late, Freddie's embraces seemed more and more familiar, and dare she say it, likeable.

Then he turned, considered something before dismissing it visibly with his hand and wrapped his arms around Sam. He was more emphatic about their hug, lifting her clean off the ground. His strength surprised Carly almost as much as Sam's reaction.