24 Hours by Gabsikle

Chapter 4

***

4:00 AM

Sam groaned. "I guess we should go."

She saw the disappointment flash across Freddie's face. He sighed sadly and stood up. He held out a hand. Sam grabbed his hand and got up. They walked down the stairs without saying a word.

"What happened to you guys?" Gibby asked.

"We had a spray paint fight," Freddie said. "Come one. Let's get back to the car."

As they walked, Carly pulled Sam back. "Why does Freddie look so sad?"

"Well... We kinda had... a... moment."

"You did?" Carly asked happily. That threw Sam off. She thought Carly would be freaking out in a bad way, not a good way. "What happened?"

They stepped outside the school. "We were wrestling on the floor, having a spray paint fight. My eyes were closed so paint wouldn't get in my eyes. When the paint ran out I opened my eyes. He was on top of me and our noses were almost touching. It was so awkward. Plus, both our hearts were pounding. I'm pretty sure he was about to ask to kiss me."

"Well, why didn't he?"

"You called us."

"So... I ruined the moment?" Carly looked crushed.

"Yeah. But that might be a good thing."

"How?"

"You know, things could get all weird between us. I don't want to, like, ruin our friendship or anything."

"But your first kiss together didn't ruin anything."

"Dude, you had a total conniption."

"That was then!"

"Guys! Get in the car!" Freddie called.

After they were all buckled in, Sam said, "Take us to the community pool."

"Why?" Gibby asked.

"In case you haven't noticed, Freddie and I are covered in spray paint. We need to clean off."

"Can we TP a house after that?"

Sam chuckled. "Yes, Gibby, we can TP a house after."

"Can we stop and get caffeine first?" Carly begged.

"Sounds like a plan," Freddie said.

***

Carly pulled Gibby aside when they entered the convenience store. "I screwed up big time."

"How?"

"Sam and Freddie might've kissed if I hadn't called out to them."

Gibby grabbed her hand. She didn't expect the little jolt of electricity she felt. "It's not your fault, Carly."

"Yes, it is."

"Okay. It is. But whatever. If it almost happened once, next time it could actually happen."

"Yeah. I guess."

"Hey, your little message to the universe worked."

Carly smiled at him. "It did, didn't it?"

Sam came up to them. "Stop flirting and get your caffeine."

Carly looked at all the items Sam held. She had two five hour energy shots and four energy drinks.

"Don't you think that's a little much, Sam?" Carly asked.

"No. I'm gonna be needing these puppies."