24 Hours by Gabsikle

Chapter 6

***

6:00 AM

Carly was happy to see Sam and Freddie scramble to sit next to each other in the booth next to the diner.

"What can I get you kids?" An old lady, their waitress, asked. Her name tag said her name was Peggy.

"I'd like a coffee," Carly said. "And an order of French toast."

"I'll have coffee too, and eggs benedict," Gibby said.

Freddie said, "I'll take a glass of water, a short stack of chocolate chip pancakes, and a side order of ham."

"I want scrambled eggs with white toast and a side order of bacon, extra crispy."

"Drink?" Peggy asked Sam.

"Oh. Peppy Cola."

Once Peggy walked away, Sam and Freddie whipped out their energy drinks.

Sam smiled happily at Freddie and asked, "Is that side of ham you're getting actually for me?"

"Nah," Freddie teased.

Sam punched his arm. "You best give me that ham when it arrives, boy."

"I'll think about it."

Carly and Gibby shared a knowing look. Carly wondered if her message to the universe worked. Sam and Freddie did seem like they were becoming closer, and were definitely flirting more.

Peggy came back with their drinks. Carly drank the coffee black. She needed caffeine. Now.

"I can't wait for my next nap," Carly said.

"Me, too." Gibby agreed.

Sam snorted. "You two are such pansies. Frednick and I haven't even slept yet, and we're totally fine."

"You're both freaks of nature," Carly said. She rested her head on Gibby's shoulder. "I don't understand how you're not tired."

"The excitement of the day hadn't gotten you pumped?" Freddie asked.

"No. It's just made me even more exhausted." She took a deep breath and noted how good Gibby smelled. It was a comforting smell. A smell that made her feel safe and secure.

She drifted into sleep.

***

Sam tilted her head.

"What is it?" Freddie asked.

"Is Carly asleep?"

"I think she is," Gibby said.

"You can't possibly be that comfortable, Gibby." Sam said to him.

"Obviously, I am. Well, to Carly, at least."

Sam and Freddie laughed.

"What?" Gibby asked.

"Wipe that stupid grin off your face," Sam told him.

"Excuse me?"

"How long have you been into Carly?" Freddie asked.

Sam had been wondering the same thing. Was Carly the reason why he dumped Tasha?

"I'm not sure," Gibby said. "She may have been part of the reason. Does it bother you guys?"

"It weirds me out," Sam told him. "I mean, how would you feel if me and Freddie started dating?" She added a fake laugh, as if the idea of them together was completely ludicrous. In reality, Sam didn't think it would be that strange.