Volume 8 Chapter 5 - The Greatest Bloodline

|Rachel|

I barely had a moment to catch my breath before another lethal projectile, a golden disk of concentrated mana, hurtled toward me. With a surge of Undine's water magic and the support of aether, I managed to just barely deflect the attack.

'She's formidable,' I acknowledged inwardly, realizing the true extent of Cecilia's power. Too strong, perhaps.

Cecilia's golden eyes gleamed with confidence as she extended her hand, effortlessly shattering my water barrier and seizing control of both Undine's water magic and my own.

The Spirit Dive encircling my left arm unraveled, disrupted by Cecilia's overwhelming prowess as the original Legacy.

In response, I unleashed a volley of dozens of water arrows towards her, but with a simple twirl of her left hand, she dismantled my attack, reducing it to mere droplets.

Cecilia's ability was deceptively simple, yet immensely potent—absolute control over mana. She could manipulate and unravel my offensive and defensive maneuvers with ease. Fortunately, as an integration stage mage with Undine's support, I possessed a fighting chance. Without these advantages, the battle would have concluded long ago.

The influx of mana in the world had indeed augmented my strength, as my body adapted to accommodate the heightened energy. However, it was still insufficient to bridge the vast power gap between Cecilia and me.

Even Lancelot, who had narrowly emerged victorious in his previous encounter with Cecilia, relied heavily on the intervention of Mana Sovereign and a fair amount of luck. In contrast, I lacked any extraordinary aid like that at my side.

'Rachel,' Undine's voice echoed in my mind, 'You will die if you continue like this.'

I gritted my teeth in frustration.

I knew deep down how ineffectual I had become.

I possessed the knowledge of the future, yet I failed to utilise it. Yes, I had grown in power, but now I faced imminent death at the hands of Cecilia.

I believed myself to be worthless.

Why was I the one who reincarnated into this world? This question plagued my thoughts time and again.

I was far from special.

An ordinary schoolgirl, raised by my father after my mother's untimely demise during childbirth.

I deemed myself useless.

'You are not worthless, my child,' a voice reverberated within my mind, causing my head to snap back and forth in search of its source.

"W-Who?" I stammered, my sudden outburst catching Cecilia's attention as well, both of us scanning for mana signatures.

'I shall now remove the restrictions on your earth magic,' the voice continued. In that moment, I felt a surge of energy envelop my body, connecting me to the living earth beneath my feet.

'Hello!' another voice chimed in, as a young boy dressed in noble garb, sporting brown hair and eyes, materialised by her side. 'I am Gnome, the earth spirit! Can I be your spirit contractor?'

"But I already have Undine," I replied, my voice tinged with hesitation.

'You can have two,' Gnome responded cheerfully, 'Choose swiftly, or that scary lady will bring about your demise.'

I hesitated for a brief moment, but then nodded.

As the fusion of Gnome and Undine surged within me, my body shimmered with a combination of earthy brown and shimmering azure magic.