Volume 6 Chapter 17 - Brewing of Darkness

[NA/N: Shorter chapter today to build up to the conclusion of this volume. Enjoy!]

|Arthur|

My body trembled involuntarily as my gaze fixated on the five figures standing before me. They bore a resemblance to the Vritra-blooded, but their presence was undeniably distinct. Their imposing horns towered above, exuding an aura of unmatched power.

"Why have full-blooded Vritras been brought here?" I inquired, struggling to suppress the waves of despair attempting to engulf me.

"We are the Specters," proclaimed the leader of the Vritras. His towering stature and sinewy frame projected dominance. His eyes, a fiery crimson, assessed me with a penetrating gaze. "We have been tasked with obliterating all Paladins and Lances of Dicathen, as well as any who dare impede our mission."

'Specters... such an unimaginative designation,' my mind remarked, swiftly seeking an escape plan amidst the chaos.

Acting swiftly, I activated Realmheart, attempting to employ spatium to evade their clutches. However, to my dismay, the motes of spatium disintegrated upon encountering a barrier of bluish-purple hue.

"You cannot flee, lesser," one of the Specters sneered. "Did you truly believe we come without preparations against spatium?"

Surveying the surroundings using Realmheart, I beheld a colossal cubic prison of aether, confining me within its confines alongside these formidable adversaries. This aetheric cage disrupted spatium and presented a formidable obstacle that would not easily yield.

As his grip tightened around my face, a surge of panic compelled me to retaliate with ice magic. Yet, my efforts were swiftly thwarted as he forcefully slammed me into the unforgiving ground, disregarding the icy tendrils encasing his arm.

His power surpassed anything I had encountered before. The mere touch of his Asuran might threatened to shatter my bones into fragments.

Engulfed in black flames of soulfire, my body struggled to withstand the onslaught, relying on a thin shield of pure aether for defense. Each tremor of his strength sent cracks reverberating through my frame, a relentless assault that pushed me to the brink of survival.

In terms of sheer power, he even surpassed Cecilia. Though Cecilia's mastery of spell control could potentially tip the scales in her favor in a clash between them, his formidable might remained undeniable.

My mind wrestled with excruciating pain, battling against the overwhelming onslaught while striving to devise countermeasures.

Relinquishing his grip on my face, the Vritra redirected his assault, raining down blows upon my battered form. Each strike inflicted searing agony as he relentlessly assaulted my aetheric barrier, seeking to breach its defenses through sheer force.

'Dammit,'I muttered inwardly, determination mingling with frustration. 'There's no other choice. It's uncontrollable, but in this dire circumstance, I must unleash it.'

In the realm of Realmheart, I tapped into the essence of vivum, but instead of harnessing its healing properties, I delved into its destructive core.

A resounding boom reverberated as a beam of vibrant purple energy erupted forth, yet the Vritra displayed remarkable agility, narrowly evading its lethal trajectory.

"Hehe," I chuckled, rising to my feet and reveling in the surging power of Realmheart coursing through my veins. Unrestrained thoughts of destruction inundated my mind as I wholeheartedly embraced the profound force.

"What is this?" the leader inquired, his gaze fixed upon his affected hand. Without offering a response, I staggered forward, my unsteady gait propelling me toward him.