Volume 3 Chapter 13 - Quarter Finals I

|Gary|

As I made my way to the backstage area of the stadium, the air was thick with an electric excitement. The other competitors had already gathered, eagerly chatting and warming up their magical abilities, all except for Arthur who was yet to arrive.

True to form, Arthur appeared with a fashionable tardiness, earning playful teasing about his sleeping habits from the others.

Suddenly, the Director made her grand entrance onto the stage, her warm smile illuminating the entire arena as she introduced the tournament. "Welcome, one and all, to the highly-anticipated quarter-finals of this year's magical tournament! Please refer to the display artifact to check the match-ups for this round."

I shifted my gaze towards the tournament bracket, feeling a surge of adrenaline as I prepared myself for the upcoming battles.

The Director's voice boomed through the stadium, "Lucas Wykes and Gary Whiteborn, please proceed to the stage!"

I took the first step towards the stage, my mind already set on crushing my opponent. Lucas, on the other hand, was too self-assured, and I couldn't wait to teach him a lesson.

As the Director announced the start of the match, Lucas brandished his wand, appearing to rely on the same spell that had taken down Claire.

However, I wasn't planning on fighting him.

[The One]

|Third POV|

A sudden and ominous aura descended upon the stage, leaving everyone frozen in fear. Even Lucas, who was brimming with confidence just moments ago, found himself rooted to the spot.

"What is happening?" he stuttered, feeling as if a cold hand had gripped his neck.

As Gary's grey eyes met Lucas', the latter's body began to convulse uncontrollably. He gasped for air, his heart racing, sweat pouring down his back, and his eyes dilating in terror. The sight of Gary's eyes left Lucas feeling insignificant, like a mere peasant in the presence of a king.

Gary's cold voice shattered the silence, "Kneel."

Lucas, without hesitation, dropped to his knees. His mind was on the brink of collapse as he struggled to keep his gaze from meeting Gary's piercing eyes.

The Director, finally coming to her senses, called off the match before any more damage could be done. As the pressure lifted and Gary's eyes reverted to their usual amethyst colour, he smiled and acknowledged the Director.

In the aftermath, the spectators were left speechless, in awe of Gary's power. The Director, still recovering, announced Gary as the winner of the first round. Without a word, Gary made his way off the stage, leaving the crowd in stunned silence.

The terror of that moment lingered long after the match had ended. It was clear to everyone that Gary Whiteborn was not to be underestimated.

|Bairon|