Volume 2 Chapter 6 - A Higher Being

|Gary|

"Listen up, everyone," I said, drawing their attention to me. "This won't be easy. I'll take on the boss while the rest of you defend and wait for me to take it down."

As I spoke, I placed my left thumb on the silver hilt of Dusk's Shadowfang, unsheathing my blade and preparing for battle. The Sky Griffin loomed in the distance, flanked by three Aural Eagles and two Wind Wyverns.

But I wasn't deterred. With a deep breath, I activated the Third movement of the Keiki Style: Void Step, my body blurring and accelerating to extreme speeds.

I appeared in front of the beast, ready to strike, but the Sky Griffin was quick to react. It thrust out its beak surrounded by a whirlpool of wind, meeting my surprise attack with equal force.

The beast wasn't holding back, launching wind blades straight at me. I quickly activated my lightning armor, destroying the blades before they could hit me.

Using my Eyes of Chronos, I glanced behind me to see my comrades keeping the AA-class beasts distracted while I focused on taking down the Sky Griffin. I knew I had to finish this quickly.

The griffin's massive body hurtled towards me, moving at hypersonic speed. But I was prepared.

[Third Movement of the Keiki Style: Void Step]

I disappeared from the griffin's sight, leaving only a faint blur behind as I sliced through its attack. A spray of crimson blood spilled from its wound as I made contact.

I swiftly infused my sword with lightning, charging the midnight steel with powerful electrons.

[Second Movement of the Keiki Style: Horizon Splitting Slash]

The griffin tried to evade my attack by flapping its wings and moving upwards, but it wasn't fast enough. My spell connected with one of its brown feet, severing it from its body.

Enraged, the griffin roared and charged towards me again, its body surrounded by sound and wind magic. It moved with incredible speed, but I was ready for it.

[Third Movement of the Keiki Style: Void Step]

My secondary core depleted with each use, but I refused to falter. I activated Void Step for the third time and infused my sword with Eternal Flames, causing it to shimmer with white light.

With a single strike, I sliced the beast in half. But my victory was short-lived. I quickly turned around and headed back to help my allies.

As I observed the battlefield, Arthur, Luke, and Jasmine were using a hit-and-run tactic to engage the eagles and wyverns while Evelyn and Oliad provided support with their offensive and defensive spells. Suddenly, Arthur killed a Wind Wyvern, but his victory seemed to have been a trap. Three Aural Eagles appeared from a weak point and charged at the party with full force.

I cursed my lack of strength and foresight, but there was no choice. I had to reveal my strongest card.

[Fourth Movement of the Keiki Style: World Splitter]

I activated my spell, and my body disappeared into thin air. The next moment, I reappeared in front of the Aural Eagles just as they were about to smash through the translucent barrier created by Evelyn. My blade, Dusk's Shadowfang, glimmered as if it had a life of its own.

The space around me distorted as the power of the attack surged through my body. Waves of mana guided my sword, sweeping through the beasts with ease. They were dissected into pieces without a chance to defend themselves.

|Arthur|

My mind raced as I realized our oversight in reinforcing that side due to the Wind Wyvern's distraction. I couldn't fathom how the beasts had planned such an attack so effectively.