Volume 6 Chapter 14 - Shadows of the Past

|Arthur|

With swift and calculated movements, I gracefully evaded the formidable onslaught of metallic spikes, utilizing the harmonious blend of sound magic and the enhanced perception granted by Realmheart to anticipate their manifestation.

Brows furrowed in contemplation, I turned my gaze towards the Retainer standing before me, his face contorted with anger and hatred.

"Do I know you?" I queried, my voice laced with a tinge of curiosity, as I gracefully sidestepped, narrowly avoiding a destructive blast of soulfire.

"Silence, you abomination!" he retorted venomously. "How dare you feign ignorance!"

Paying no heed to his fervent accusations, I disregarded his words, instead employing the spatial manipulation of spatium to instantaneously transport myself behind him.

"I am not feigning, you insignificant being," I spoke icily, my chilling words sending shivers down his spine. "Truly, I have no recollection of you."

With a swift and decisive motion, I launched a powerful kick, propelling him forcefully through the air, his body hurtling away.

Observing the shattered remnants of his metallic defenses scattered upon the ground, I silently acknowledged the efficacy of his automatic defensive mechanisms.

As I closed in on the Retainer, prepared to deliver the decisive blow, a sudden surge of potent mana pierced through my heightened senses, causing an eerie chill to cascade down my spine. Sensing the imminent danger, I swiftly halted my advance, enveloping myself in a protective shield of Destruction, ready to face whatever awaited me.

My thoughts raced as I assessed the situation. "This is perilous," I acknowledged inwardly, my gaze fixated on the enigmatic woman who descended gracefully beside the Retainer.

Cecilia.

My closest companion from a bygone era.

Suppressing the tumultuous emotions that threatened to surge within me, I effortlessly quelled the rising tide of sentimentality, aided by the apathetic aura emanating from the depths of Realmheart.

"So, Grey, you truly stand before me," she intoned, her voice resonating with commanding authority as her piercing golden eyes locked onto my form.

It was impossible to deny the ethereal presence she exuded, akin to that of a deity gracing mortal soil. Though her physical appearance had undergone a transformation since our past lives—her once-blonde tresses now replaced by cascading onyx locks, her vibrant blue irises replaced with incisive orbs of gleaming gold—her essence remained unaltered, radiating a profound otherworldliness.

While she may not have been Aldir's equal, the weight of her very soul transcended his feeble existence. It was evident, even in this momentary encounter.

In the realm of possibilities, should she nurture her innate potential, Cecilia had the capacity to surpass even the lofty echelons occupied by the Asuras. Such was her innate talent.

Cecilia was a formidable adversary, capable of pushing Lancelot to his very limits even when caught off-guard. I knew that defeating her would require the deployment of my secret weapon. Nevertheless, even with that advantage, I couldn't be certain of securing a victory against her alone.

"Sylvie," I communicated through our bond, ensuring her safety amidst the impending chaos, "Stay clear of the battle. I don't want you caught in the crossfire."

Reluctantly, my dragon companion agreed, understanding the necessity of her distance.

"Rachel," I projected my voice using sound magic, alerting my fellow Paladin to the dire situation, "I require backup."