Volume 2 Chapter 3 - Wunderkinds

|Lancelot|

I felt the shivers run down my spine as I climbed the stairs to the stage.

My opponent, Gary Whiteborn, stood across from me, his eyes scanning me with cold indifference.

This was the first time I had felt such uncertainty, unsure if I could emerge victorious.

My feet moved slowly as I ascended the short stairs leading to the stage. Standing opposite to me, stood my greatest enemy.

His amethyst eyes scanned my body indifferently as if I wasn't worthy of his scrutiny.

"Assume your positions, Gary Whiteborn and Lancelot Orbel!" The Director announced before exiting the stage.

"Then, let the final match begin!"

Gary took a confident stance, full of openings yet I dared not approach him. The only thing that was keeping me from attacking him with everything I had was his right thumb on the hilt of his sword, ready to attack me with his terrifying sword technique.

Taking a proper stance for the first time, I gathered the wind mana around me. The air on the stage thickened, but there was no change of expression for Gary.

The stadium was still, the audience eagerly waiting for the match to begin. But on the stage, the tension was palpable.

Sweat dripped down my neck as I gulped and knew I had to act.

[Gale Arrows]

The wind behind me thickened, turning into thirteen swirling green arrows. With a slight point from my fingers, I shot them towards Gary.

There was no change in Gary's movement when he suddenly unsheathed his sword and stopped my spell without much trouble.

Unsheathing my sword, I revealed its silver hilt to the audience for the first time before shooting towards Gary.

Swirling wind mana around my sword, I swung it towards his neck.

His eyes slightly squinted as he deflected my attack using his black sword.

"Hoo~" breathing out, I delivered more slashes using the Orbel swordsmanship.

However, it was a futile attempt as he continued to deflect my attack without much trouble.

'Time to go all out.'

[Mana Sovereignty]

All the wind mana in the area bowed to my command, causing the mana that Gary used to dissipate.

His eyes widened as I sent him back using my mana-augmented attack against his mana-less sword.

With a thought, he conjured lightning mana around himself.

'I knew he would do that!' I thought as I used the tiny opening to bombard him with wind magic.

Cladding my sword in deep green wind magic, I thrust it towards his heart. His indifferent eyes flashed a bit of worry for the first time just before his lightning armour appeared around his body and stopped my attack.

However, my attack was still so powerful it destroyed his lightning armour.

Suddenly, he countered using his black sword, its speed blurring even for my augmented sight.

I once again used my father's swordsmanship, detecting the smallest changes in the air around me before countering his quick thrusts.

I conjured and released several wind blades towards him. He turned his body perfectly, evading or blocking my attacks in a way that should not be humanly possible.