Volume 4 Chapter 4 - Terrorism

[A/N: While we are nearing our goal of surpassing the old ff's vote count, I want to take a moment to express my gratitude for all the support we've received so far. As we move forward with the story, I will be accelerating the pace of the narrative as this volume does not require as much intricate planning. However, I must ask for your understanding regarding the plothole of the elixir that Arthur received. I apologise for not being able to come up with a more intelligent solution, but I will make sure to address this in the story and provide a satisfactory explanation.]

|Kathyln|

I recalled a memory from my childhood when my private tutor scolded me for my behaviour during class. I had little recollection of what I had done wrong, but according to my tutor, I had refused to interact with the other noble children in my class. It seemed my mother thought it was necessary for me to socialise and make friends during my studies.

But things didn't go as planned when I threw a tantrum on the first day, insisting that I didn't want to befriend them because they weren't princesses like me. My tutor tried to discipline me with gentle words, but I didn't listen. I stormed into my room and slammed the door shut, determined not to come out.

Later that afternoon, when the other children and my tutor had gone, my mother knocked on my door, even though there was no lock.

As I sat on my bed, feeling the warmth of my mother's touch as she ran her gentle fingers through my hair, her words struck me deeply. I was just six years old at the time, yet the memory of her words has stayed with me ever since.

"I know you feel that you did nothing wrong, my little Kathyln," she said, her voice soft and kind. "But I want you to remember that before anything else, you are a person. It doesn't matter if someone is a king, a servant, a powerful mage, an elf, or a dwarf. We are all people, and we must treat each other with kindness and respect."

My mother was not only sensible and smart, but also compassionate and caring. She believed in treating everyone as equals, regardless of their social status or race. She instilled this same belief in my brother and me, and made sure to discipline us whenever we exhibited any form of discrimination.

The sound of the explosions sent a shockwave through our bodies, and we all bolted up from our seats in a panic. Racing outside, my heart sank at the sight before us: a disastrous scene unfolding with thick smoke billowing from the area near the campus center.

Frustration and disappointment tightened my fists as I took in the devastation. The recently-constructed Tri-Union Hall, a symbol of the alliance between the three races, was in ruins. Half of the building was engulfed in flames, while the other half was collapsing under its own weight. Students were evacuating as staff members and professors rushed inside to search for those stranded or trapped.

Beside me, Claire cursed under her breath, her frustration palpable. Theodore stomped his foot in anger. "I should've known they would target this building," he muttered, his jaw clenched.

As we hurried towards the site, memories of my mother flooded my mind. She had argued passionately for the construction of Tri-Union Hall, and had been overjoyed when it was finally built. It was meant to be a monument to the three races' alliance, a place to celebrate and learn about each other's cultures.

But now it had become a target, likely the work of the same radical group that had been causing chaos in recent days.

As tears threatened to spill from my eyes, I strained to see through the smoke and chaos, hoping that everyone inside would make it out safely.

In the absence of Arthur and Alistair, Claire took command, her voice firm and steady as she barked out orders. She turned to Kai, instructing him to alert the rest of the staff and professors.