Test the waters - MK x reader

Start from the beginning

 "I'm glad too." You whispered, looking into her eyes. The two of you sat there in silence for a while, just staring up at the stars.

As the season progressed, you found yourself as the underdog, while MK continued to use her intelligence to outsmart her competitors. She had always been well known for her pranks and schemes. 

However, MK's mischievous behavior did not sit well with everyone, particularly the more serious and rule-abiding contestants who grew increasingly frustrated with her antics. They formed alliances to try to vote her out of the game, but MK always managed to stay one step ahead. The other contestants did not trust you, just because of your relationship with MK. This made you feel lonely even though you had your girlfriend by your side. 

You did your best to try to win the game fairly, and even made one close friend named Axel, who was obsessed with surviving the zombie apocalypse. Axel was the only one who was smart enough to know you were not like MK, and she was the only friend who stuck by your side through everything, just like how you were the only one who didn't judge Axel for her obsession with zombie survival. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Axel asked, her voice surprisingly gentle. "You can talk to me, you know?"  

You nodded, glancing over at MK who was busy trying to hack into the computers from afar to get a step ahead during the next challenge. 

Axel noticed your unease, then pulled you into a warm hug. "It's okay. You can talk to me." 

You sighed, then decided you could trust Axel with your true feelings. "It's MK.. She's been so caught up with scheming that she hasn't been herself lately. The MK I know back home was sweet and always had my back, but now it's like all she cares about is winning. It's like she doesn't care about anyone but herself."

 Axel nodded in understanding, taking in your words. "I know what you mean. It's like she doesn't care about anyone but herself. It's sad."

"I just don't know what to do." You told Axel, feeling unshed tears well up in your eyes. 

"Talk to her." Axel suggested softly. "I think she'll understand. If she loves you and wants to be with you, she'll be open to talking things over."

You nodded, wiping at the tears on your cheek. "I'll do that." You promised, feeling a little better. "I just wish she would care about me a little more."

You walked away from Axel to approach MK and Axel watched from the distance with a knowing smile. 

"Hey, MK." You said, trying to hide your nervous expression, from behind her. "Can we talk?"

"Not now! Can't you see I'm trying to make us win?" She snapped, still messing with the computer. 

"MK." You said, more forcefully this time, getting slightly irritated. "You've been acting selfish lately and it's not fair. What you're doing is hurting people!"

 MK argued back, narrowing her eyes at you. "But I have the right to be selfish. I'm doing this for us." MK said, raising her voice slightly.

"I understand that, but it seems like you're losing yourself. Please take it easy. You're not acting like the MK I fell in love with." You couldn't help but feel like you were talking to a different person. This MK was cold and detached, and it wasn't like her at all.

MK shut off the computer in anger, giving up on the conversation. "I love you too, Y/N, but you just don't understand anything at all."

She walked away, leaving you standing there alone with your thoughts. However, you felt strong arms wrap around you from behind. You turned to see Axel hugging you. You smiled, letting your best friend comfort you in this time of need. 

The competition was starting to reach its climax and to your dismay, Axel was voted off, which left you feeling completely alone. It was the merge, so the teams have dissolved. 

MK still regularly cheated and schemed in the game, while neglecting her relationship with you. You two would no longer have walks on the beach after challenges, and she would barely make even small talk with you. She was too caught up in the competition and it started to feel like you were no longer together. 

You were lonelier than ever, wishing she could still show you that she cared. You were getting to a point where you just didn't want to be here anymore. 

You cautiously approached some people, knowing they still didn't trust you, just for being MK's girlfriend. You approached Julia, Priya, Zee and Millie and asked sincerely, "Can you vote me off?"

The group looked taken aback, but you continued, "Look, I know you all hate me just because I'm MK's girlfriend and that you automatically think that makes me a bad person, but I can't take this anymore. I can't take her anymore. Please vote me off, so I can go home."

The group didn't respond, still looking surprised at your request. You sighed then walked away, hoping they would take your suggestions to heart. 

To your surprise and relief, the group listened and you were voted off. You were more than happy to get away from the competition since it brought out everyone's ugly side, especially your girlfriend's. 

Y/N, wait!" MK cried out, rushing after you. You turned around, giving her a sad look. "I know you asked everyone to vote you off to get away from me, but.. I love you, Y/N. I want to fix things between us, no matter how long it takes."

"I love you too." You admit, despite everything. "I just don't know if I can do this anymore."

"Y/N." MK said, stepping closer to you and gripping your shoulders. "Please don't leave like this. I'll do anything, Y/N. I'll change, I'll pay more attention to you. Just don't end things between us."

You thought for a moment, before nodding hesitantely. You decided to give her a chance. 

MK's grip on your shoulders tightened, and she pulled you in for a hug. "I love you, Y/N." She whispered into your ear. "I'll always be waiting for you."

To your surprise, MK got herself voted off the next day, because she felt remorseful for her actions. When she arrived home, the first thing she did was look for you. Her heart pounded in her chest as she anticipated seeing you, the one person she genuinely cared about. 

She stopped by your place then knocked on the door. You answered it, surprised to see her approaching you so soon. You were taken aback by her sudden appearance and asked what she was doing there. She replied that she wanted to see how you were doing.

"Y/N, I need to be honest with you." MK said, holding you closer to her, giving you a sincere look. 

"Go on." You told her, giving her an encouraging smile. 

MK revealed that her mischievous and conniving habits in the game were a defense mechanism, hiding her vulnerability and insecurities. Her experience with almost losing you changed her, and she emerged not only as a fierce competitor but also as a more compassionate and understanding person. 

She did not want to continue testing the waters as a result of a game if it meant losing you, but more importantly, herself. 

Overwhelmed with emotion, after you and MK finished talking things through and how she showed her desire to change, you pulled her into a kiss, sealing your forgiveness and trust towards her. 

You were more than ready to experience this newfound path with the girl you were lucky to call yours.