Chapter 139: Revenge Under the Moonlit Castle {5}

~~~

The flames that engulfed their arena slowly consumed everything. The scent of burning flesh and wood was all that could be smelled from their immediate vicinity.

Yu got up.

Toju got up.

Their faces lathered in their own blood and sweat, they could only hear and feel the burning desire to win and prevail against their opposing adversary.

Flying towards each other in a leap, their fast movement tore through the fiery blazes; and their faces were filled with tension. As they fought, they knew that a fight such as this one was one close to death.

When fighting with everything on the line, one can only persevere through their burning - searing - pain that was being inflicted upon them. That is why, despite their bodies slowly giving out, they were willing to bury it down, replacing that fatigue to imaginary energy.

"HAAAAHHHHHH!" They yelled simultaneously, both of them dodging each other's fists. Then they dodged the other's kick, repeating this cycle as their eyes and mind were fully attentive and focused.

The heat that traveled perpetually crept down their necks, stinging their cuts and injuries. Then, as poetic as it was, they both - at the same time - landed a hit on one another, knocking them away.

Now, more than ever, did they feel the everlasting heat of the blazed glory that circled and encapsulated them. Huffing, Toju looked to the side.

His sword was right there. He had long forgotten about the sword that he swore to use for eternity the moment it was granted to him by his leadr: Shikisha.

He took the blade, staggering as he struggled to get up.

Yu staggered as well, standing up with a slight limp. Their faces were lit up with their respective fury. Toju calmed the beating of his heart, moving his blade to the front, holding it with both of his hands.

Flames ignited, mirroring the great fires that swirled all around them. His vision blurry, he awaited his perfect chance to attack.

Yu let the blood that rolled all over his body crave the flesh of his enemy. Wood rose from the ground, with dangerous fire catching right onto it. With the wood burning, Yu knew that he only needed one good look to finish this off right then and there.

He jumped forward.

Toju did the same, mirroring his movements to perfection. The sound of the wind rushing swept their ears, and screams of the forsaken could not be heard or be reached to their ears.

Their hearts found their rhythm.

And like their hearts, their eyes connected, and knew what came next. Their hands swung forward, the wood that surrounded Yu came forth, drilling forward.

The sword that Toju held to himself did not let up, and he brought it upwards, swinging it down. Moving to the side, Yu grinned.

"I win!" He yelled. To his side, a splinter of wood - a shard, in fact - sprouted from behind him, shooting forward and aimed right at Toju's head.