Chapter 103: The Final Year {7}

~~~

What did being free mean to Lekami Ina?

There were many interpretations of the state of being free, and many would say things like having no restrictions to yourself; having full control of your life.

Having no destined path for you to take since the beginning of time.

All components, all various forms of being free to a person, but Ina viewed his ideal "freedom" as something far more simple.

No longer standing in front of his father, or obeying a man like Shikisha who didn't show him light at the end of the path.

That is his version of freedom.

Being able to no longer be restricted by those old fools that did not know what life meant—that was the ideal.

Was that "freedom" finally there? Was the "freedom" finally being served to him on a golden platter?

Ina did not know, and could not distinguish whether it was the same majestic scenery that he has longing for.

"Freedom? I already have that."

But... why did he respond in such a way? He longed for freedom, the freedom that could no restrain him in metal shackles any longer.

Yet he responded dishonesty. No, perhaps it was a reflex to him, an instinctive answer that has been engraved into him by his father.

"Are you ashamed?" Naruto asked. Ina gnashed his teeth down tightly, backing away slightly by placing his left foot a bit behind his right.

"Ashamed? What is there to be ashamed of?" He asked aloud.

"Of your lack of conviction? The resolve that you lack to steal your freedom? Are you not ashamed of such thing?

"Or you just scared? To get caught trying to steal your freedom? Caution is good, Ina. But what you have is not caution—it is far too cautious to be called caution."

Naruto had a solemn smile, the gaze of the moon being casted upon them, but mostly at the man who stole the stage every time.

"It's fear.

"What you have is fear, not at all caution. Do you understand? It is easy to mistake caution with fear, and you seem to be doing that right now. You are afraid."

"Enough!" Ina retaliated, disappearing as a ruckus was made in the halls of the estate. Taking out Setsudan, the reflection of the blade made the moon slither in two. Naruto eyed him, backing away.

"No need to deny such obvious dreams." Naruto heard the movements of the guard shift and people began to move towards where the ruckus was being located. 

Naruto moved his hand to his face, sliding it down to mask himself into a new appearance. His hair was now obsidian in color and he wore a mask that had an infinity sign right on the eyeholes.

As guards came in, Naruto quickly eliminated them without a single moment of compassion for their wholly lives that were reduced to being guards for a failure of a man.