Chapter 68: Higanbana {2}

[They are watching]

~~~

POV: Aoi

I walked on top of the creaky wooden floors, the dark clouds of gray looming over the world - Japan - in utter silence and resplendence.

The atmosphere was a dull one, lacking the colorful colors that was brought forth during the birth of life. I sighed quietly, not wanting to be heard.

I had taken a day off from the gruesome job of being a fantastic tester for my department. I wandered aimlessly inside of the house that I've grown fond of over the last few years.

This had been the house that I had promised to start anew in, but it seems fate wanted to play with me once again and shatter that short-lived dream that I had dancing in my mind.

I watched as the curtains to the front window fluttered just slightly, and I saw something just a bit near. The time was nearing the evening days, but there was something just a bit odd.

Crimson.

There had been a beautiful crimson color that slithered--no, that dripped down from an unknown source. The colorful crimson had struck my eyes.

I tensed up,my nerves activating as my breathing quickened. I drew near, gaining closer inspection on the unnerving blood that slithered down the window outside.

Squirrel.

It was a squirrel. I narrowed my eyes, immediately recognizing the ploy that was right in front of me! The squirrel was dismembered, crimson intestines oozing from its guts. It eyes were bulging outwards, dangling from its sockets.

I did not convulse in disgust because I was familiar with this.

Squirrels usually became idle once winter kicks in, so it was common not to see squirrels roaming around like they do during warmer climates.

Shikisha is now making his move! That was the only conclusion one with my knowledge should be making. I used to be in their organization, so I knew of their tactics and methods of killing.

Besides just outright killing them, Nobu had a repertoire of ways of dealing with their profound obstacles. Whether it was killing through infiltration, poisoning their targets--

this was one of them.

When in the profession of killers, sadistic pleasures would without a doubt become prevalent. By breaking down the psyche of a person, then they will leave their guard open for imminent danger.

Right away, I knew this was Shikisha - Nobu's - ploy to not only send a vivid warning of them coming after us, but a way to dishearten my resolve of protecting Naruto, Nagare, and Keika.

My features hardened.

It was easy to point out the clear association with this dead squirrel that was oozing with its own flesh and blood and Nobu themselves.

We had raised animals for the sole purpose of disheartening foes, and since a squirrel was one of them, it only makes sense that we make a subtle mark to indicate that it was ours.

Of course, no one knew this mark except for members of Nobu/Tokugawa.

I looked at the hands and legs of the squirrel's being.

Each of them missed a single limb.

And not only that, but the level of cutting that the squirrel had went through was at the level of a high caliber. Whether it was a sword or any kind of blade, Nobu and Tokugawa were one of the best at it.