Chapter 67: Higanbana{1}

[We begin to walk towards the truth; the light is nearing; the descent of the mad is coming] 

~~~

POV: Aoi

Nagare and Keika stood by my side, trying to beat Naruto's incredible markings. Even though his stance was sloppy and unrefined - unlike a true marksman - his ability to keep his hands so precise was an ability that many did not have.

I watched his back descend into the crowds of people, submerging into the crowd alongside his acquired friends from Konoha. I smiled faintly, thinking of his future.

I could tell that he was still hiding things from me. His past that existed before our meeting was filled with obscurity and uncertainty. And it has only been recently that I've learned of Naruto's nature.

Yet, I've accepted him.

I continued to smile softly, thinking.

Over the years, I've grown and I've learned many things. I had been walking along a brutal path filled with crimson blood. It was blood that always followed from behind me and in front of me.

Despite my past, the lessons I've learned will forever embed itself inside of my heart.

One does not need a reason to love unconditionally.

Maybe that was a simple thing that many people have learned and lived by, but - for as long as I could remember - that unconditional love had long faded into my past.

And it was only in these recent years after my traitorous defect from Nobu did I learn what it meant to love unconditionally.

I did not need a reason to protect my beloved little siblings from prominent danger.

I just did.

Perhaps it was because I was uncertain of the future that I began to leak these thoughts away. My soft smile remained on my face. But that soft smile was soon wiped away from my face.

I should be able to finalize it soon. I thought. I knew of the dangers and Shikisha was more than capable to find out our current location due to his vast resources, that's why I was in a hurry to get a new house so we could move into that new location.

Fear.

Such a strong emotion lurked inside my heart, the unbearable feeling that protruded from every cell of my body. Fear was strong, incredibly so.

But I could not let this feeling break free from the chains and bars that I've been imprisoning it with this entire time. In front of those I hold dear, I could not show them even a moment of weakness.

Because that very moment of weakness could dishearten them. I could not let that happen. Even if I have to endure such terrible burdens and pain, I'll continue smiling for them until the very last breath.

I sighed, rubbing my temples.

I was so scared.

~~~

POV: Naruto

We had been walking for quite some time now and I had begun to notice the droppings of temperature that froze the skin of many. I frowned in displeasure, feeling the cold overcome the will of my pants.