Chapter 62: Appetizer {2}

~~~

POV: Aoi

I looked at her as her eyes were morphed into one filled with anger, hate, and disdain. Normally, one might feel repulsed by such a sight, but I've grown used to the hate that someone like her would give me.

After all, I had defected from their wretched group of miserable swordsmen and swordswomen. Their ideals and what they stood for... I could not longer side with them after learning the full truth.

I sat at my booth silently, watching as Mako walked towards me, her disdain never leaving those eyes of hers. It had filled her with hateful luster, and it was entirely directed at me.

"It's been awhile," I said. 

Mako stopped walking, her feet planting on the tiles of marble right in front of the booth that I sat in. Her fingers twitched, utter hatred brimming from every vein in her body.

"Why... are you here?" She asked me, her fingers curling. Mako probably wished to strangle me to death--heh, not like she could even do that if she tried.

"This is a great spot for coffee. Although the possibility of meeting you are anyone from that wretched organization or clan holds me back from coming here frequently." I didn't hold back, speaking the full truth.

Even if I lied, it was obvious why I wished and refused to come here at all. They were people that opposed me, going against me in every way possible. 

Mako and I used to be close friends, having come here frequently to get our delighted coffee. And, if I dared, I considered us sisters in a way. Even though we did not share any blood, our relationship was akin to that of siblings.

Always bickering with one another, but in the end, we always forgave each other in the end. But I couldn't say the same now. Our lives have become even more twisted than before.

I felt the hot steam that the coffee emitted, covering my face with heat. I took another sip as Mako sat right in front of me, her eyes never leaving me.

I did not say anything, not wanting to interact with someone who could not see the full picture, nor understand the truth that I had seen with my own two eyes.

I thought back, looking at the times that were filled with joy with Mako. They were good times, but those times couldn't ever be the same ever again. My perception of them had long since become distorted.

"We are going after everyone your brother cares about. That includes you." Wow, this girl was a blatant one, saying someone as heinous as that right in my face. Does she not know she is much weaker than me?

I opened my eyes, the steam distorting my vision. 

I looked at her, my eyes hardened and stern.

"Can you beat me?" I asked. It is the truth that I am strong, much stronger than any of the commanders that align with Shikisha. And, if I confidently say, I could beat all of the commanders all at once.

"We may not be able to, but there exists an existence that can." It was obvious to who she was referring to--it was obvious.

"I don't care. I'll happily protect Naruto and everyone he cares for, even if Shikisha or someone much stronger than me appears." I was certain of that. My heart did no wane nor did it waver while I said this.