Chapter 16: Fortune

~~~

POV: Naruto

I felt the wooden flooring press against my feet, every shred of its touch stimulating the soles of my feet as I moved through the house in silence.

It was the early morning of the next day.

The sun rose across the horizon as I stood on the other side of the glass doors. I felt the heat resonate within my body as I mustered the courage to make myself a cup of coffee.

Wearing socks and my beat-down shoes, I went outside in the backyard and felt the fresh air brush against my skin in an elegant manner.

Hm? I didn't see this before. I looked to the side of the backyard porch, seeing 6 wooden blades that were all put neatly on a rack. Drawing near I took one of the wooden blades out of its socket, letting myself hold it.

Light. I described it as such, gripping the hilt tightly. The blade was small - a sign that Aoi was going to try and teach Keika and Nagare how to use a sword once they're older.

Or maybe she was already teaching them.

She really cares... My internal thoughts drawed itself out, painting a picture in my head before I removed it completely. I moved towards the field that was relatively big, but it wasn't so big that it bewildered me.

The air rushed, churning all around me as if dancing. I stood in the middle of the field, the wooden katana that was specifically made for Kendo.

But I knew better than to believe that Aoi of all people would simply use Kendo. She must have a style of her own that was far superior than anything Kendo could teach.

No, maybe it's because their styles differed that they could not be compared.

Standing silently, I looked back into my memories, painting a sequence of images. My fight with Mifune-san long ago was proof of my plagiarism.

I wonder... Holding the blade of wood in my hand, I shot it forward, creating an image painted with the skills of both Mifune and I.

A long slash echoed throughout the wind.

There's a major difference still. I observed thoroughly. It wasn't the same as when I was with my old body. Maybe because I was much frailer, but the results were there.

The skills I had in my past life weren't enough.

I needed more.

"Wow, that was cool Naruto." I twisted my head towards the owner of the voice, seeing Aoi standing with a cup of coffee of her own.

I couldn't sense her at all.

Was it because I was so absorbed into just that one attack? No, that'd be a terrible excuse-- she simply masked her presence well enough to the point I couldn't even find a single trace.

"But even though you have the talent, you don't have the heart." Aoi was oddly perceptive when she wanted to be. But I guess that's not a good thing.

She had a point.

I don't pour in my feelings into not only my sword attacks, but in other aspects of fighting as well. All my life I was always able to be exceptionally good at everything, and becoming the best was never out of my reach.