The art gallery - Gwen x male!reader

Start from the beginning

-

"I'm nervous and excited." Gwen told you, as you were driving.

You took Gwen's hand, kissing it. "You're an amazing artist! They will love your work. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about."

"I'm glad you're here to support me through it all." Gwen smiled, feeling herself blush a little.

"What can I say?" You chuckled. "I have to be a good husband, after all once our wedding comes up. I'm lucky to have you."

"I'm so lucky to have you."

You and Gwen arrived at the art gallery, and you helped her take down her work towards the entrance. You glanced at Gwen, noticing how nervous she was, then rubbed her shoulder to soothe her. She smiled, feeling more at ease, knowing you'd be there no matter what would happen.

Gwen led you to a room, where everyone's work was going to be evaluated for acceptance to be featured into the famous art gallery. There were multiple artists there already, along with Gwen's favorite artist, Natalie, who was going to evaluate the portraits. Gwen started to feel even more nervous, knowing there was competition. It wasn't close to how she was during her time on Total Drama.

"Places everyone!" Natalie called the group. "Leave your portraits on each empty display with your name on it, and stand aside while my partner, Trevin, and I evaluate your work."

Everyone did as they were told, and you helped Gwen set up her display. Gwen looked anxious, so you gave her a side hug.

"It's going to be okay." You whispered.

Natalie and Trevin evaluated everyone's work, giving score ratings and comments about their work. Soon, it was time for Gwen's work to be reviewed.

"This is beautiful." Natalie smiled, eyeing Gwen's drawing of a prom exploding. "I like the anger, the chaos. It's perfect."

Trevin held up Gwen's drawing of a haunted house with a couple sneaking into it. "I think this one is my favorite."

Natalie chuckled, "Well done, girl!"

"Thank you." Gwen smiled, as Natalie walked away.

After Natalie and Trevin were done reviewing everyone's work, Natalie announced that they had made her decision. Gwen waited in anxiety as Natalie began calling the names of those who were selected.

"..Jenae, Louis, Tia, and Austin!" Natalie finished her announcement. "That's it everyone! Good job still to those who entered though."

You felt your heart drop, realizing that Gwen's name wasn't called. You slowly glanced at her, then felt your heart ache at her broken expression. You quickly pulled her into a hug, "Honey, it's okay. I still think you're amazing."

Gwen shook her head, then stormed out of the building. You took a look at her display, then sighed, gathering it to take in the car. You didn't care that your hands were full. You weren't going to leave Gwen's work in here to be thrown out.

"Gwen?" You called, then frowned when you saw her leaning against the car, crying. You put down her work, then took out your keys from your pocket to unlock the car, so she could get in.

Gwen got inside, avoiding your gaze by leaning her head against the window. You sighed, starting the car.

"Baby, I still think you did amazing. They still liked your work, remember? They said it was perfect." You tried to assure her.

"But not enough to get accepted." She mumbled, sniffling.

"That doesn't tell how amazing your work is." You replied. "Many people want to buy your work. You know how many times at work people ask me to ask you to sell a piece to them?"

"A lot." Gwen admitted. "But why didn't Natalie want any of mine?"

"I don't know." You sighed. "I know Natalie is like your role model, but her opinion shouldn't matter as much as yours. Besides, there are other opportunities out there."

Gwen didn't reply, and just sighed, leaning against the window. You frowned, then decided to stop by Gwen's favorite fast food place to get her something to eat. She didn't eat anything last night or this morning, despite you making her breakfast.

For the next two weeks, Gwen had been moping around the house, not feeling motivated to create more work. You tried your best to cheer her up as much as possible by buying her cute art supplies, cuddling with her when she was too upset to get out of bed and making her tea. You also offered her to talk about the situation, but she didn't want to. At this point, you didn't know what to do.

"Gwen, honey, I'm worried about you." You finally said, walking into your shared bedroom. "We need to talk about this."

"What's the point?" Gwen mumbled, sinking further into the covers.

You got into bed, laying beside her. You pulled Gwen close to your chest, then whispered soothing things to her, while playing with her hair. Gwen relaxed a little, then fell asleep.

You smiled a little at how peaceful she looked when she slept, but there was no doubt that she would feel gloomy again once she woke up. As you lay in bed with her, you thought of what could be something that could cheer your soon to be wife up.

You got up quickly, once you thought of an idea. You decided to make a few phone calls.

-

"Y/N, where are you taking me?" Gwen asked, getting into your car with you.

"Just trust me." You smiled, and started the car then headed to your destination.

You and Gwen got down at a hotel, and she looked confused. She followed you inside, thinking you were taking her somewhere to eat at the hotel to cheer her up. To Gwen's shock, some of her work was hung in the hotel's art gallery for tourists. Many people were there in that gallery, taking pictures and commenting on how beautiful and unique Gwen's work was.

You smiled, putting your arm around Gwen. "I know this isn't a 'Natalie features artists' art gallery, but I thought that you deserved your work being more recognized despite what happened. The hotel agreed to buy your work to feature in their gallery with other artists too. The best part about this is, there are tourists that regularly go here! People from around the world will see your work!"

Gwen chuckled, then jumped into your arms, holding you tightly. "Thank you! Thank you so much, Y/N!"

You smiled, kissing her nose. "Of course! I'm the best 'soon to be' husband, aren't I?"

Gwen blushed, holding your hand. "You sure are!"