Chapter 41: The BlackMarket Lead {3}

Start from the beginning

~~~

POV: Yu

I walked along a long, dark corridor that rung loudly with every step that I took. This was a sight that you'd only see in a nightmare.

I had been the same.

Before, crossing this dark corridor had me fearful, and it had my body shaking in fear of the dark, the unknown.

As time went on, that feeling went away, and only my calmness remained as I walked the corridor that had me at a clutch before.

"Welcome," a voice, one as smooth and silky as a snake said. I had opened the door to this secretive room that only a few people have access to.

Orochimaru's Laboratory.

There was a vile smell that clenched my nose shut, the disgusting smell never getting old as I walked on a floor that was full of garbage and dried blood.

"What are you working on?"

I asked as I looked around.

It has always been like this. Go to Konoha, come back here and ask the same, mundane question that I had long since grown tired of.

But I said it anyway, because that was all I knew what to ask. I was smart, but I wasn't smart enough to understand what he does.

The green liquid that bubbled in their containers.

And the bodies that hung around the walls, their intestines hanging from their stomach. It was disgusting, but I was able to refrain myself from gagging my life.

"Experimenting," he told me.

A vague answer to a vague truth. 

Whatever he was experimenting, it'd probably result in failure. He has gone through this many times, and when he tries something new, he'd always fail the first hundred or so tries before getting an adequate result.

But I guess that is what a scientist does - a mad scientist in fact.

"Do you have any updates on Naruto?"

I shook my head.

"He's been sleeping in our homeroom class. And he did the same thing as always during our lunch period together."

"Hm... I see. Perhaps that incident took a toll on him. Maybe a form of trauma had struck him? Having to endure your life almost splitting into two may be quite the shocker."

"Maybe."

I doubted that. 

I saw his eyes during that day. As he fought an opponent that far outclassed him, he did not care for his own safety.

He betted his life as it hung on a single thread, and he did not even hesitate to put forth his cards, unleashing everything he had so he could kill the man that was opposing him.

If I was a foolish boy, I would've envied such braveness.

But I was not foolish enough to let myself be killed because of a certain desire.