64. Protective

About an hour into the walk you shrugged them off and began to limp on your own, against Bucky's demands, you felt bad making them carry most of your weight. It didn't feel much better but you just got use to the pain and limped your way beside them.

"Sorry about Redwing." Bucky said finally breaking the silence.

"No, you're not. What's going on in that big cyborg brain of yours?" Sam asked.

"It's computing." Bucky answered with a stone face.

You and Sam chucked, "You know what? I can actually see it. I can see the gears turning." Sam said.

"Oh, they're malfunctioning." You said.

"Shutting down. Yep, they're on fire." Sam said.

"Call I.T. Cyborg down." You joked and Sam laughed.

"We gotta figure out where the serum's coming from." Bucky said ignoring your antics.

"Yeah. And how in the hell after 80 years are there eight super soldiers running loose?" Sam asked.

A car drove up past you and honked. You and Sam looked up and your smiles faded and your faces looked the same as Bucky's once you saw John and Lemar in the back, you kept your focus on the road ahead trying not to limp as much.

"So that didn't go as planned, huh?" John said and opened the hatch in the back but you all continued to walk. He told the diver to keep going and it drove along side the group. "Look, at least we know what we're up against now, huh?" And we're pretty sure it's one of the Big Three, so..." he continued.

"Aliens, androids, or wizards?" Sam asked.

"Pretty sure." John answered.

"Theres no such thing as wizards." You and Bucky yelled.

"All right, then it's aliens, or androids." John corrected.

"Or super soldiers." Sam said.

"Shit. Super soldiers, for real?" Lemar asked.

"Yeah." Sam said.

Lemar looked you up and down and Bucky noticed and put his arm around your waist and walked closer to you. You looked at him confused and rolled your eyes still walking, thinking he was being protective over your hurt leg still.

"Wow. All right, well, then we gotta work together." John stated.

"That's not happening." Bucky said.

"I think we stand a much better chance of we all just..." John started.

"Just cause you carry that shield, it doesn't mean you're Captain America." Bucky interrupted.

"Look, I've done the work, okay?" John insisted.

"You ever jump on top of a grenade?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah, actually, I have. Four times. It's a thing I do with my helmet. It's a reinforcement helmet. It's along story, but anyway..." he answered.