63. Flag Smashers

The next morning you woke up to your phone ringing. "Hello?" You asked sleepily.

"Good morning, sunshine. We got a mission I need your help with." Sam said.

"Where am I meeting you and when?" You said groggily.

He laughed, "two hours, I'll send you the location." He said and hung up the phone. You groaned and got out of the bed.

You put on the tv while you ate your breakfast and got ready for the mission. You heard a marching band playing and looked at the screen to see John Walker stood next to a news anchor.

"Ladies and gentlemen... your new Captain America." She announced and you rolled your eyes.

"Good morning, America." He said.

You changed into a shirt and some jeans and put your jacket on over it and sat down with your cereal.

"Thank you so much for coming. This has got to be fun, though, coming back to your high school after so much has changed?" She asked him.

"Oh, it's great. We're... ohh." He said and the crowd behind him cheered.

"John, I think the first thing everyone want to know is what is it like being Captain America? Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go?" She asked.

He chuckled, "Uh, yes. Yeah that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind." You rolled your eyes.

"And how's the tour been? I know they did a big rollout for you, right?" She asked.

"It's the greatest honor of my life. Um, but I'm just a little shocked, I think. How did a guy like me end up here?" He answered.

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. 'A guy like me?' Somebody's being a bit too humble. For those of you who aren't familiar with his resume, 'John Walker, first person in American history to receive three Medals of Honor, ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescues.' The government did a study of your body and MIT, and you tested off the charts in every measurable category. Speed, endurance, intelligence..." she listed.

"Look, here's the thing, uh, I'm not Tony Stark, I'm not Dr. Banner, or y/n l/n, okay? I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it. Because I got big shoes to fill." He said.

"You'll never be able to fill them." You said and got off your couch angrily to wash your bowl.

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" The announcer asked.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene. I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his." He said.

"You've always wanted to be a hero?" She asked.

"I liked what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that, he gave me hope. Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother." He said.

You dropped your bowl in the sink at his words, "A brother. Christ sakes, he doesn't even know the first thing about who Steve was. Brother my ass." you grumbled and turned off the tv with your powers not wanting to hear him anymore.