8. The Reveal

You and Steve followed the ambulance with his bike. You watched outside of the operating theater through a double sided mirror so you can see in. Not long after Nat rushed in.

"Is he gonna make it?" She asked out of breath.

"I don't know." Steve replied.

You tried to keep the same face you had on knowing he will but you have to pretend like he's truly dead in front of them.

"Tell me about the shooter." Nat replied.

"He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." Steve looked disappointed in himself, while Nat knew who it was instantly. Maria Hill walked up beside them watching the scene from the window.

"Ballistics?" Nat asked Maria.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." She replied.

"Soviet-made." Nat said coming to a conclusion.

Maria validated her response while commotion started in the theater in front of them. Even though you know it'll all work out it's a hard scene for you to watch. The nurses get the defibrillator prepared to shock him.

"Don't do this to me, Nick." Nat whispered, you put your hand in her upper arm to try and give her comfort, while they tried to revive him multiple times. "Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." Nat continued to whisper.

Everyone one was silent while the doctors stood there. Steve turned around and walked out the door as they called time of death.

^^^

After they were finished in the operating room they brought him to a spare room for final goodbyes. Nat stood beside the 'corps' with her arms crossed loosely over her chest looking at his face, while you and Steve stood over by the wall next to the door.

A few moments later Maria came in a stood next to Steve. "I need to take him." She said trying to keep an even breath.

You and Steve walked up beside Nat and put your hand on her back. "Natasha." Steve said, which seemed to have knocked her out of her trance and she put her hand on his forehead as one last goodbye and turned around quickly out the door. You both followed her quickly. "Natasha!" Steve said in the hallway.

She stoped abruptly and turned around. "Why was Fury in your apartment?"

"I don't know." Steve said trying to seem confused.

He was immediately interrupted, "Cap, they want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D." Rumlow said walking up to the group.

"Yeah, give me a second." He said as politely as he could.

"They want you now." He said more sternly.

"Give us a second, Christ, our director just died." You said angrily. You felt your powers try to bubble up but were suppressed once you felt both Nat and Steve put a hand on you to calm you down.

"It's okay, I'm coming." He said the first part to you then the next to a now more pissed off Rumlow.

"You're a terrible liar. Come on y/n." Nat said as he turned back to her.