87: Cognizance

She read further.

'However, the King admitted that this broader definition (of "high" and "low") suffers from prejudices because well-intentioned folk magic may be regarded "low," whereas ceremonial magic containing expensive or exclusive components may be considered "high magic" by some, regardless of intent.

Many magical techniques and rituals were deemed evil or irreligious during the Kingdom's First Generation, and hence dark magic in the broad sense. The Inquisition made witchcraft and non-mainstream esoteric study illegal and punishable. As a result, natural magic arose as a means for philosophers and intellectuals such as (First Grand Duke's/Name), (Third Grand Duke's/Name), and (Twentieth Grand Duke's/Name) to further esoteric and ritualistic research without facing major persecution.

In a modern context, the distinction between light and dark magic is clearer, and most modern definitions emphasize intent rather than practice. Many former Heirs of the Grand Duke's Generation of Families have also sought to distance themselves from that intent on practicing dark magic. In an era when benevolent magic is increasingly associated with new-age beliefs and practices and self-help spiritualism, those who seek to do harm or evil are less likely to be accepted into mainstream Heirs of the Grand Duke's Generation of Families.

The connections and interactions between dark magic and religion are numerous and varied. Beyond the links between dark magic and organized Satanism, or its historical persecution by Christianity and its inquisitions, there are links between religious and dark magic rituals. The End of the Month's Monster Subjugations, for example, is a sacrilegious duty of the current ruling Lord/Grand Duke. A saining, like a christening or a baptism for an infant, is an Heir of the Grand Duke's Generation of Families ritual.

According to King's orders, the first priest, (Priest's/Name), performed a series of End of the Month Monster Subjugations with the current ruling Lord/Grand Duke.'

Suddenly, the next pages after it was all blank.

"Huh?" Katarina flipped through a few more or so to see if there was something else.

She flipped back right before the bookmark, it was also blank.

'What..?' she blinked, 'Why are the other many pages all blank except for the few ones in the middle?'

It was strange.

Had the ink all faded so easily like that? That didn't seem possible though.

She huffed, shutting the book in one hand along with the bookmark back in its place, she put it back where she pulled it out from the shelf.

There wasn't much to do.

It was late into the night, it was best she sleeps this off.

She's been having a hard time trying to rest considering l/n tends to drag her by the leg and out of the bed in the morning.

...

Katarina found herself being grabbed by the collar of her shirt and pulled out of the bed.

"Ugh..?!" She landed on her side on the floor.

'Damn.. man...' she hissed, holding her arm, it ached a little from accidentally leaning on it when she fell.

It wasn't dislocated or broken which was obvious, l/n wasn't going to do that when he grabbed her out of the bed.

"Get ready in five minutes." He left the room thereafter.