44: Belligerence

Katarina lay on her bed, head shoved into the pillow with a huff, she felt weirdly grumpy for some reason, this has never happened before.

Well, it rarely ever happens, and it's just so rare, it can't even occur to her to notice that she's feeling moody.

"Why do I feel more ticked off lately?" She scratched the back of her head while thinking about it.

On occasion, she does feel ticked off but not to the point that it's this prominent to leak out, no, never, it never leaks out no matter what. She's felt angry at many points in her life right now but it doesn't mean it just happens to coincide for her to get begrudgingly irritated at her Brother.

Maybe, the problem is that she never asked y/n to make a cure for her curse. Oh, dear, she forgot to mention if she could make one thanks to all the unnoticeable distractions around them when she's with her.

'I'm not in my right mind at all..' she rubbed her aching temple, agitated and groaning to herself as her nails dug into soft bed sheets.

...

She lay on her bed, wide awake.

Feeling sleep-deprived like usual.

The pain had already stopped after it began five hours ago and it was somewhere past midnight by now.

Sighing, she sat up on her bed.

And for some reason, the urge to get out of bed and walk over to her door hypnotized her even without a single loud hitch of the muffled whispers in both ears.

...

"Huh..? Lady Katarina?"

Y/n yawned looking up at the familiar face in front of her.

She was too tired to be surprised, this already happened perhaps a few times by now as she muttered asking, "What's wrong?"

Katarina looked at the wall behind y/n, holding her close to her in her arms, whispering to a volume audible only to the both of them, "I can't sleep..."

Y/n hummed, reaching a free arm over to wrap around Katarina's back with her thumb calmly drawing circles, she played along, still half asleep and groggy about it, "Why is that?"

"I don't know," Katarina began to feel sleepy the moment she took a whiff of what smelled like the scent of jasmine coming from her, "I just......"

Y/n fell back asleep with Katarina, finally falling asleep.

"Goodnight, Lady Kata.."

...

When she woke up, she was on y/n's bed.

Looking over to the windows behind her, it was very early in the morning and she wanted to stay.

'She might not like that though..' she bit her lower lip just thinking about it.

Y/n was still fast asleep beside her.

It's about time she leaves to go back to her dorm before she gets caught being in this room, hearing her maid go into a panic not seeing her isn't something she'd like to happen to disturb y/n's rest.

...

Katarina rubbed the side of her temple, a frown evident on her face, she was having a stupid headache and she didn't know why of all times, it was happening now.

"Lady Katarina, are you alright?"

She turned to Mary and smiled assuring her, "I'm fine, this is just a headache. It's been happening more often lately."

Mary was anxious just like everyone else around the table that displayed tea and biscuits that have been prepared for her.

"You should get that checked with a Doctor or Maria can use her magic to try and make it feel better?" Gerald suggested, gesturing to Maria if she could do it or not.

"It's okay." Katarina said, grumbling to herself, the fear of excruciating pain coming from light and darkness coming together and clashing coming from behind her head made it all the more reluctant of her to take it, "My Mother might question me if she gets wind of it..."

"I'll.. go to the infirmary so you should all wait for me in a bit." She got up and walked away.

The harem was beginning to notice changes in her but it could just be because she was having headaches more often, well, just about anybody can become irritated when they have headaches after all.