54: Cursory

"Well, even then. You should at least be with them more often than with me." Y/n said.

Katarina frowned hearing that, "I don't want to."

Y/n sighed, 'I expected that answer...'

"But we should get back soon... After all, it's quite late and you should sneak back into your dorm now." She huffed, muttering, "You might get caught being in my dorm y'know."

"It doesn't matter either." Katarina hummed.

"It matters to me.." y/n sighed aloud a second time, explaining, "Kat, we're of different standing, you're a duke's daughter and I'm a baron's daughter whose Father only bought the title with an amassed wealth... And more importantly.. were both ladies."

"I don't want to be a noble then." Katarina stood upright hearing such an explanation, 'I hate being a noble then.'

"Huh..!?" That surprised y/n a little.

"If I can't be with you as a noble then I'll wipe my name out of the Duke's family tree," Katarina said.

"Ehh..!?!?" And that surprised her even more.

"W-Why..? No--that's just impossible.." y/n shook the thought away, 'There's no way the Duke would even let her do something like that. She's also engaged with the crown Prince, after all, it's too impossible!'

"I can do anything if I set my mind to it and tomorrow, the scores will be displayed on the board, I want you to see me place first above everyone else including the royal family.. I wish for you to listen to what I want to ask of you." Katarina huffed, a frown across her face, she looked more depressing than displeased.

Y/n's face went beet red, 'So cool..'

She shook her mind clear, now wasn't the time to be falling head over heels. Katarina just said she was going to do the unspeakable no Noble Lady would think of doing!

"N-No.." she muttered, 'I must resist!'

"No?" Katarina hummed, feeling confused.

"No.. uhh... No, you can't wipe your name out of your family history! That's not a good idea and I don't wish for you to become a commoner like that! If possible, I hope you don't get persecuted and lowered to the rank of commoner or exiled." Y/n said.

Katarina stared at her face with wide eyes, unmoving before nodding, "Alright, if that's what you want."

Y/n perked up, 'She listened..?'

"T-Thank you for listening.." she muttered.

Katarina nodded again.

"I would do anything for you, even if my life depends on it." She said.

Y/n snickered, giggling a little, that was way funnier than she expected it to sound a second time in her head.

"That's very sweet to hear but... Please, don't ever put your life on the line so quickly like that, I don't know what kind of danger you could face." She said.

Katarina liked seeing this joyful side of her more often than when she was afraid of her when they first met back then on accident.

She didn't even think it would be possible to meet her in this mode and that she'd just have to endure the pain every night for the rest of her coming life as she grows older.