Episode 80: Breakfast in Bed

Daphs wakes when the lights blare on. It takes her a moment of groaning to realise that she's on her own in bed, Lucas is nowhere to be seen.

Still rubbing her eyes, Daphs shuffles out of bed. She shimmies into Noah and Hope's bed, coming in next to Noah, so she rolls right over the top of, making him grunt and groan under her elbows and knees, not stopping until she falls the other side of Hope.

"Oh my God, Daphs," Hope says, groaning. She gives Daphs an elbow, but otherwise doesn't shove her off as Daphs as Daphs cuddles in behind her.

"Uh," Noah says once he's recovered from her, throwing his arm around Daphs, too, "Good morning."

"Yeah, morning, Daphs," Hope says, her eyes still half shut despite Daphs rude awakening. "Not so heavy on the good thanks to your heavy ass. How did you sleep?"

"Solid," Daphs replies. "How about you?"

"Mmm, something was solid last night, but it wasn't sleep..."

"Oh for Gods sake," Daphs mutters, before immediately bursting out with laughter.

Noah snorts. "You've got no leg to stand on, Daphs. Don't forget who's bed was next to you and Lucas in your heyday."

"Doesn't this look cosy," Bobby says, interrupting their chitchat to get into the bed, too. He goes around the other side of Daphs, cuddling up to Noah. Noah doesn't hesitate to put his arm around Bobby, too. He lets out a long, loud yawn before adding, "Good morning to everyone except the Scops owl who kept waking me up last night."

"Who?" Daphs says, doing her best to make it sound as owl-like as possible.

As Noah and Hope snort, Bobby points at her accusingly, looking stern. "Don't you start," he tells her.

"Scops owl?" Gary says, a cross between sleepy and confused, as he sits up in bed. Hope turns onto her back so she's mirroring Noah, the pair of them embracing each other and the half of Daphs and Bobby they've got attached to them. "Is that some kind of nickname for Elisa, now?"

"What is a Scops owl?" Hope asks.

"Why have I woken up with so many people saying, 'Scops owl'?" Noah asks with a grin, looking wry down at Bobby.

"I'm glad you asked, Noah," Bobby answers him, rising onto his hip to overlook them. He drapes his hand over the lump in the bed that is Noah's raised knee. "I was about to explain."

"Go on, Bobs."

"A Scops owl is a local species of small owl with a loud, distinctive call."

"Oh!" Hope calls out, realisation dawning, "I've been hearing that! I thought it was an alarm!"

"Yeah, it sounds like ..." Bobby cups his hands over his mouth and calls out, "Twuu! Twuuuu!" continuously, his calls getting long and louder each time.

Daphs laughs and she's pretty much the only one who does, or at least she does it so loud it drowns out all the others.

From across the room, Lucas comes in, towel around his waist, chest still glistening with damp, but his hair already done. "What on earth is that noise?" He asks as all eyes fall on him looking like Adonis.

"Ah, Lucas, I'm glad you asked," Bobby says, looking round at him. "That was my Scops owl impression."

"I'd ask why you're doing owl impressions," Lucas says as he sits down on the side of the bed closest to the main group, legs open slightly, but not enough to see up his towel, "but if anyone is going to be doing owl impressions first thing in the morning, it would be you, Bobby."