Episode 22: Compatibility

When everyone's gathered close enough to hear, Priya reads out, "Islanders, it's time to find out who's for whom in today's compatibility challenge! The boys will rank the girls in order of who they think they're most compatible with until they get the order right. Whichever boy or boys guess their order in the fewest tries will win a date with a girl of their choice. Hashtag, who's Mr Right, hashtag, and who's Mrs Wrong."

The other Islander's let out a chorus of 'oohs' before gathering around the firepit.

A whiteboard has been set up with each of the lads names written in a column down the side and a second column to record their number of attempts. Lucas' name is written first.

The boys not participating sit around the firepit as the girls stand about before them waiting to be lined up. Bobby takes position at the board to record the attempts.

"Okay, Lucas, come on!" Gary eggs him on, "Get Daphs at the top there."

Lucas is already on his way to Daphs, stopping before her to say, "Do you want to head to the top, Daphs? Hope, you can go next, then Priya ..." He then puts Kitty, Marisol, and then Lottie last place.

"So," Bobby says, looking down at the answer sheet in front of him, "Whoever I tell to step forwards is correct. So, Kitty, Marisol, and Lottie, all step forwards please." A small smile had spread over his face as he reads through Lucas' compatibility. "Lucas, readjust those girls at the top."

Lucas considers for a moment, his eyes shifting between Daphs, Hope, and Priya. "Okay, Hope, you go first, Priya, second, and, Daphs, in third place, please. There, how's that Bobby?"

Bobby glances down at the sheet. "And that ... is correct! Two attempts! Setting the bar high on the first go!" He turns to the board and marks two lines in Lucas' box as Lucas goes to sit down, his smile not as confident as when he first started. "Noah, step up to the mark, please."

Noah limbers up, his eyes flicking over the girls, assessing his options. "Hope, stay at the top. Daphs, could you swap with Priya, please? Lottie, you can swap with Kitty. Marisol, stay where you are. All right, Bobby, how did I do?"

Bobby's eyes grow wide at his first glance of Noah's compatibility. His face remains long as he tries not to laugh. "So, you did absolutely rubbish. None of them are right."

Noah looks shocked as the other Islander's laugh and jeer. He turns back to the line; his eyes falling on Daphs and Hope first of all. Daphs hopes she's not further down the line, but also doesn't want to put anyone's nose out of joint.

"Daphs, Hope, if you two want to swap?" Noah suggests, his eyes falling further down the line as he thoughtfully considers the girls. "Marisol, you go third, Priya, fourth, Kitty, fifth, and, Lottie, sorry, but I'm going to try you last."

"If I keep getting put in last place, I swear I'll go on the warpath again..." Lottie says, only half-jokingly.

As everyone looks to Bobby to see how close Noah is this time, Bobby can barely keep the smirk from his face. "Daphs is right and that's it."

The Islander's are split between shock and laughter. Hope most of all, looking mockingly scandalized as she's shifted down the line another time. With Daphs locked in top place, Noah puts Priya second, Hope third, Kitty fourth, Lottie fifth and Marisol last.

"So, this time, only the top two are right, Daphs and Priya," Bobby reveals to the ever-increasing amusement of the others.

"How are you so bad at this, mate?" Gary asks.

"I don't know," Noah says as he shifts the girls about once more. "I thought this was going to be so easy, I've no idea how Lucas managed it in two tries."