→ chapter one hundred and six

Start from the beginning

Chae suspected that the tense atmosphere in the room was down to the fact that the end was near, it was dawning on them, creeping slowly as if it were a ghost. If the end was nearby, what were they supposed to do after? They couldn't simply pretend the wizarding war hadn't happened, the students couldn't return to classes, after all, the school was in shambles.

They had served their purpose as Dumbledore's Army, now would they lay it to rest?

"I don't want anyone else to help," Harry said loudly. "It's got to be like this. It's got to be me."

Voldemort hissed in a snake-like matter, the two of them continuing to circle one another in perfect synchronisation.

"Potter doesn't mean that," Voldemort sneered. "This isn't how he works, is it? Who are you going to use as a shield today Potter?"

"No one," Harry replied simply. "There are no more horcruxes. It's just you and me. Neither can live while the other survives, and one of us is about to leave for good..."

The sun was beginning to set outside, casting shades of red and pink across the castle, Harry and Voldemort's faces could be seen clearly. The two of them gripped their wands, Voldemort's hands trembled on the Elder Wand whereas Harry's did not move a muscle.

"Avada Kedavra!"

"Expelliarmus!"

A loud bang echoed throughout the room, startling its inhabitants. Golden flames erupted in between the circle, a green light met a red light, an electric buzz could be heard as the wizards strained to keep their spells on one another. The Elder Wand flew from Voldemort's hand, leaving him defenseless as Harry caught it effortlessly like it was the golden snitch.

Everybody watched as Tom Riddle hit the ground, a thump sounding beneath him, his body was feeble and shrunken, there was no mistaking the vacant, lifeless look in his eyes.

It was over.

The wizarding world was now free of potential harm.

Chae's hand covered her mouth in shock. There was no describing the euphoric feeling that spread throughout the room, cheers and shouts were ignited immediately and everyone rushed towards Harry.

It was really over.

After all those years, after all those fights, after all those deaths. After everything, it was finally over.

Chae watched silently as Harry tried to speak to everyone, she decided to patiently wait her turn, she now had all the time in the world to wrap her little brother in her arms again.

"Patient today are you Chae?" Harry asked, walking towards her.

"Nope, just proud," she smiled.

Harry laughed and wasted no time in pulling Chae into his arms. He was much taller than Chae. Chae looked up at him, the glint of awe swimming in her eyes was obvious.

"You did it."

"I did it."

"You brilliant, brilliant, brilliant brave boy!" Chae exclaimed, leaning upwards to kiss his face in a sisterly manner. Harry laughed and shrugged her off.

"It's over, you can go make babies now," Harry teased, earning a slap on his shoulder.

"You should go rest now, I can't even imagine how tired you are."

"Okay."

Chae's cracked lips were pulled up into a soft smile as she watched Harry walk towards Ron and Hermione, he turned around to face her once again.

"I couldn't have done it without you Chae."

Chae shook her head, waving her hand to dismiss him and he gave her that boyish grin, running off to Ron and Hermione. Her eyes never left his figure until he had fully retreated, she was so focused that she did not even notice the presence next to her.

"Marry me."

Chaerin choked on her saliva, turning her head rapidly to see Fred staring down at her.

"You what? Are you crazy?"

"No, I'm Fred."

"It's practically the same thing at this point."

He laughed in response, but still, he lowered himself onto one knee. Chae's eyes blurred with tears as she stared at him with nothing but love, Molly was crying into a tissue, Arthur's arm wrapped tightly around her as a crowd formed to watch a beautiful moment.

"Chaerin Chang, will you marry me?"

Fred couldn't fight the smile on his face as he pulled a velvet box from his jacket, he opened it to reveal a ring that Chae knew he had definitely spent too much on. It was breathtaking, the engagement ring held a small flower, encrusted with diamond carats which glittered softly in the light of the sunset.

"Yes, yes I will."

Fred let out a sigh of relief, he pushed the ring onto Chae's finger on her left hand, ignoring that she was crying like a baby. His tall frame encased her in a bone-crushing hug as she continued to cry.

They were going to spend forever together.