Chapter 68: A Gift is Coming...

Start from the beginning

"Um..." I got stuck, I couldn't say it out loud.

I reel back, his hand pointing at me. "Whoa." He said simply.

"Just-"

"Whoa..."

"I mean..."

"Shit."

"It's not that bad-"

"Shut up."

"It's not!"

"You dickhead!" Amir glared at me incredulously. "You're dating a fucking bully, don't you get that? This is the bastard that chased me down. He told the kids in my year he saw me pissing outside the form room and the teacher went and told me off for it without even investigating. I tripped over his foot once and the pulled me back by the shirt and sent me flying. He's a bully you idiot!"

That made me feel genuinely bad. It wasn't easy to describe why. I felt like I'd been misjudging him and Amir was right, but the teddy he gave me still sat pressed on my pillow under the covers with Jacob's...

"I know..." I said quietly.

"So why are you dating him!"

"I'm not!" I yelled back angrily.

Amir stared at me like I was crazy. "How many times have you kissed?"

I blinked at him, then looked down at my hand, trying to remember how many times exactly. Wait, the deal had been to kiss him once a day for a week, so it must have been seven kisses, right? Was I missing any. The fact that I had to think about it as I counted with my fingers was enough for Amir to groan and look away.

"Why are you kissing him if you're not dating him?"

"Well, that's kind of complicated..." I was fully prepared to tell him the entire story, wanting to get it out there as quickly as possible more than ever before he interrupted.

"Have you kissed Jacob?" He asked all of a sudden.

I looked up in surprise "What the fuck, no!" Where did this come from??

"So you don't like him."

"No!" I replied indignantly. But the image of him sitting with me in that crowded storage room, the feeling when he turned around and ripped the button off of my shirt, the way his cold blue eyes caught the light when he moved, it flashed in my head and made my heart beat faster.

"And he doesn't like you?"

"Fucks sake no! If you only knew how much he-"

"Okay fine."

"You're bothered by the idea I might be dating someone you hate rather than me being... I mean..."

"You think I care if you're gay?"

"I don't know." I frowned, not sure what to say. It wasn't like homophobic slurs and jokes were uncommon to hear amongst kids my age, so it wasn't crazy to assume he might be on board with that. "But I'm also not gay." I could say that with confidence at least. "I just thought you'd find it weird."

"Weird you like guys? My little sister likes guys and I haven't shunned her yet." He changed subject. "Did you kiss Jacob on the cheek that time?"

He was asking questions so fast I almost felt compelled to answer them at a similar speed and it was hard to lie when I was talking that quickly. "Why are you asking this?"

"Because I'm trying to figure out why Jacob is texting to meet you, why he wrote on your chest that you belonged to him, why you let him order you around like he's got some kind of collar around your neck. I was proper convinced you guys was dating for a while there-"