The Train

Ameria Well's (District 4) P.O.V:

I stand at the window, watching the landscape fly by as we make our way to the Capitol by train. It's the first time I've ever left District 4. Not for the reason I would have planned, though.

I don't know what's going to happen to me. I'm probably going to have to die in these Games, and even if I make it to the finals- quite unlikely- there's still only one winner. Annalies...if it's not me, I hope it's my sister. But I don't want to die. But I don't want to her to die, either. Annalies is my sister! Why did my name have to be drawn, of all names? It just made things so much more complicated. Annalies has already won. How disappointing it will be when I don't survive also.

What happens if it's down to the two of us, if we both make it to the finals and we're the last two tributes left? I won't be able to kill Annalies. She'll have to kill me. That will be terrible, having my own sister kill me. Maybe she won't. Maybe we'll die together, and there will be no winner of the 150th Hunger Games. But that's doubtful. I should be thinking about surviving these current Games, not the finals, and I don't even think I'll get there, so what's the point in thinking about all the 'what if's? My thoughts are just going around in circles.

"Are you thinking about any alliances?" My District partner, Ted, asks thoughtfully. No, I'm not. I'm going to try to survive just like Annalies did. Maybe it'll work for me, too. Maybe it won't. But I'm going solo, it seems like my best bet. I don't tell Ted that, though. I really don't want anyone knowing about my plan, or, should I say, Annalies's plan. He might come and try to kill me. Then again, he doesn't seem like the kind of person to do that, just curious.

"I'm not sure yet," I say vaguely. Better safe than sorry. "I don't even know if an alliances are forming yet." And even if there are, I'm not planning on joining one.

Then again, there was that alliance of three girls in the Games Annalies was in, and two of the three survived. Those are pretty good odds. I shake the thought off. There have been other alliances where all of the people have died. It's risky, and the circumstances will be different. The arena won't be the same, the people won't be the same, there may not be any convenient hiding places besides the Cornucopia. It'll be better to stick with my original plan than to change it now, when I've got a whole strategy planned out. I don't even know the other tributes.

Suddenly, the window goes dark. We've arrived at the Capitol.