District 12 Reaping (16)

Autumn Brown's (District 12) P.O.V:
I wasn't just Reaped, I couldn't have been. It's almost impossible. Why? Just why must the Reaping get in the way of everything?
My boyfriend and I, we were going to try to run away after the Reaping. But now we can't, if I'm going to be in the Hunger Games. Why didn't we do it yesterday? Why today, of all days?
But wait. "I volunteer.
It's my best friend, Crystal. We've known each other since we were five and her parents mysteriously died. I remember finding her crying in the street, when we were so little, and sitting down next to her. We were friends ever since. But what is she doing, volunteering for me? No. I can't let her do this. "Crystal, no!" I shout as she walks forward. She doesn't even glance back.
"What is your name, darling?" The escort, pleased with the unusual District 12 drama, asks Crystal.
"Crystal. Crystal Ice," she says softly.
"How exciting! Crystal Ice, volunteering for Autumn Brown!" The escort giggles. "Were you friends?" I notice that she uses past tense, as if we aren't friends anymore, or Crystal is going to die and I was friends with her when she was living.
Crystal says something inaudible. "Sorry, dear, say that a bit louder?" The escort chuckles.
"None of your business."
"Excuse me?!"
"I said, it's none of your business whether I was friends with her or not."
"But, darling, how it is! Your business is everyone's business!" The escort turns a deep shade of red.
Crystal doesn't say a word. The escort humphs. "Well then! On to the boys!" She walks over to the other Reaping ball and selects a name right from the top. "Elias Theand!"
Another voice cries out. "I volunteer!"
The escort looks amazed, and I am, too. "Two volunteers!" She gasps. "What is your name, young man?" She asks the boy standing in front of her. That's when I realize who it is. My boyfriend.
"Quentin Yale," he responds. "And I did it for Elias." I recall that Elias was his best friend.
But what is he doing?! We had a plan, a plan to escape together. But I suppose that this didn't involve his best friend getting Reaped, and him volunteering. That's who Quentin is, though, and I know it. He will sacrifice himself for a friend.
"QUENTIN!" I scream. My heart is slowly shattering into a thousand pieces, and I tell him so. He can't be going into the Hunger Games. This is just terrible. I cannot describe the horrific feelings that are tearing me apart right now.
Crystal.
And Quentin.

Why?

A/N: It's so hard not to get attached to all these poor tributes/tribute friends/family. Then I have to kill them.
The feels.
😩😩😩